Website Chicago Shakespeare Theater
In partnership with the Director of Finance, the Controller is responsible for accurate and timely monthly financial reporting, participation in the annual budget process and budget tracking, and preparation and oversight of annual audit and federal Form 990 schedules. The Controller ensures accurate general ledger information and assures compliance with generally accepting accounting principles. This role has the opportunity to operate under a hybrid work model allowing for remote work 1-2 days a week.
Areas of Responsibility
General Ledger and Accounting
- Provide general accounting services for the organization and oversee daily business operations
- Perform month-end bank and investment reconciliations
- Maintain the detailed pledge receivable schedule and ensure all pledges are recorded at the proper time and amount under GAAP
- Prepare/update detailed pledge workbooks & net assets released from restrictions
- Prepare a documented review of all journal entries, reconciliations, and schedules prepared by finance department staff
- Direct or perform month-end and year-end closings for general ledger, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies
- Assist the Director of Finance in the preparation and analysis of monthly comprehensive and departmental financial statements
- Perform analytical procedures at month-end
- Working with senior management and individual departments, and in alignment with strategic initiatives, prepare the annual budget worksheets & schedules
- Enter the final budget into general ledger in detail by cost center and by month
Audit and Federal Form 990
- Prepare the audit schedule for the investment rollforward and allocate by restricted Funds
- Prepare the audit schedule for prepaid insurance
- Assist with the year-end audit, including worksheets and schedules as outlined by an independent accounting firm
- Prepare and maintain schedules for the annual Form 990 tax return
- Assist with the preparation of the annual financial statements and footnotes for audit, state and federal filings
Accounts Payable, Payroll and Other Disbursements
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval
- Monitor short term cash needs and complete wire transfers to cover weekly disbursements
- Provide backup assistance for weekly payroll preparation
- Review all payroll tax filings
Risk Management, Compliance and Other Reporting
- Ensure compliance with financial control procedures
- Prepare quarterly and annual debt compliance reports; keep Executive Director apprised of any potential for noncompliance
- In partnership with the Development team and Assistant Controller, prepare corporate, foundation and government grant reports and other outside requests for financial information
- Ensures compliance with all purpose and time restricted contributions, including temporarily restricted endowment accounts
- Complete the annual Theatre Communications Group fiscal survey, annual Cultural Date Project/Data Arts fiscal survey
- Secure and monitor insurance products, including employee health & welfare benefits, general & property liability, and board & employee practices
- Working with our outside consultants, prepare financial data for annual commercial insurance renewals for approval by the Finance Committee
- Responsible for financial oversight and integrity of the records and transactions including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll processing
- Implement appropriate internal controls over accounting processes in order to safeguard the assets of the Theater, ensure adherence to all fiscal policies set forth by state and federal law and the by-laws of the Theater, and additional requirements of the finance and audit committees
- Assist with renegotiation of line of credit to ensure adequate cash flow for Theater operations
Maintain company relationships with banks, accountants, investment consultants etc.
Manage all banking relationships, including operating accounts, debt reserve accounts, short-term investments, and loans
Manage lease agreements and contracts. Assist the Director of Finance with renewals.
- Prepare regular financial reports in various formats for the Executive Director, the finance and audit committees, and the board of directors, including balance sheet (statement of financial position), income statements and cash flow projections
- Ensure that compliance reports are prepared in a timely manner and in accordance with standard accounting procedures for regulatory agencies, grant makers, donors, etc.
- Provide support for audit and finance committees
- Assist the Director of Finance with negotiation and oversight of financing for special projects
- In coordination with the organization as a whole, support, implement, maintain, and report on work that upholds inclusion, diversity, equity and access
- Undergraduate or masters degree in accounting
- CPA preferred
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting required
- Minimum of 3 years in a similar position
- Strong technical skills and experience with a Windows-based computer environment, including
- QuickBooks. Excellent Excel skills. Proficient in PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Please submit an application at the link below.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.