Website Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association
TITLE: Payroll Assistant
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Assist Payroll Manager with processing of 5 unique payrolls on varying processing frequencies: weekly, biweekly, and semi-monthly; with preparation of weekly Orchestra dues and related union payments; and maintenance of both electronic and paper payroll files.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – PAYROLL
1. Collect, organize, and confirm mathematical accuracy of payroll information submitted including time sheets, PTO time off reports, W4 tax forms, salary increases, and deduction change notices for 403(b), flex, direct deposit and other changes, as needed.
2. Enter employee changes (including terminations and address changes) and import data in csv files for ADP preview before transmittal. Organize data into payroll batches (using pre-formatted templates). Review and confirm totals and employee names, after import.
3. Upload payroll data; transmit, save iReports check register previews and verify accuracy of data to time sheets; etc., for each of the five payrolls prior to final review by Payroll Manager or Asst. Controller-Accounting Operations.
4. Sort live checks (if any) for distribution and mailing.
5. Calculate and prepare manual payroll checks, needed.
6. Record voided checks, as needed.
7. Prepare weekly union dues reports and check requests, and any other miscellaneous weekly reports and check requests.
8. Save electronic Payroll reports to secure shared iReports folder. As needed, periodically shred old or unneeded paper payroll records and reports.
9. Investigate and resolve discrepancies, respond to employee and some Payroll-related HR inquiries.
10. In the absence of the Payroll Manager, or as requested, prepare and transmit 403b contribution data.
11. In the absence of the Payroll Manager, or as requested, prepare payroll journal entries.
12. Create spreadsheets for reporting using the ADP web-based portal Workforce Now.
13. Assist Payroll Manager with year-end reporting process.
14. Assist the department as needed and other duties as assigned. Overtime maybe required, as needed, to accomplish established deadlines.
1. Reports to Payroll Manager.
2. Other contacts include: Assistant Controller – Accounting Operations, Finance Department and Store staff, auditors, vendors, and all levels of administrative and orchestra personnel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1. 3-4 years of progressively complex payroll experience required. Prior experience importing files through templates into payroll web-based portal preferred. 2+ years of experience with union Payrolls preferred.
2. Knowledge of payroll journal entries a plus.
3. Familiarity with ADP concepts and processes preferred, and familiarity with ADP WorkforceNow, Concur, and Great Plains software a plus.
4. Familiarity with Human Resource concepts including Benefits, open enrollment, etc. a plus.
5. Meticulous attention to detail with thorough and responsive follow-up required.
6. Excellent organization, time management, customer service and communication skills required.
7. Ability to multi-task and prioritize work required.
8. Proficiency in MS Word and Excel preferred.
Pleasant office environment.
Send cover letter with salary expectations, and resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org