Website Goodman Theatre
JOB TITLE: Facilities Assistant
LOCATION: Goodman Theatre: 170 N. Dearborn Street – Chicago, IL 60601
REPORTING TO: Facilities Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-exempt
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Facilities Assistant is responsible for supporting the built environment for all employees, artists and patrons through the effective, hands-on implementation of the building maintenance and custodial program. This individual directly interacts with Theatre employees, consultants, and outside vendors in support of the Goodman’s artistic work. Qualified candidates must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend shifts for performance coverage.
- Act as 1st level of response for building, grounds, custodial needs
- Complete minor repairs and preventative maintenance tasks as assigned
- Complete daily and periodic cleaning tasks in support of the custodial team
- Effectively manages time to meet all specified deadlines to minimize downtime to the operation
- Respond to work requests from occupants in support of the work environment
- Conduct daily facilities inspections to proactively identify deficiencies
- Collaborate with building service vendors; provide assistance as needed
- Provide project support for facilities management team as assigned
- Provide documentation and reporting of all maintenance tasks in
- Input data pertaining to the Computerized Maintenance Management System
- Monitor temperatures through the building automation system
- Assist facilities team in maintaining an inventory of supplies and materials
- Assist with event set-up and preparation
- Perform basic snow and ice removal as needed
- Practice workplace safety and utilize personal protective equipment
- All other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications:
- Entry level experience in basic commercial building maintenance, repair, operations, and cleaning
- Able to work flexible work hours including evening and weekend shifts
- Knowledge of common industry practices including safety standards and quality control
- Proven problem solving and organizational skills
- Cooperative and collaborative with excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to work independently and know when to escalate maintenance issues
- Computer literate – Email; MS Office; building automation systems; computerized maintenance management systems
- Ability to read and interpret general periodicals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations
Capable of performing physical labor, frequent walking, maneuvering 60 lbs. or more, negotiating ladders, working from heights of up to 30 feet, and working from unusual angles to fix equipment. Working conditions may include small spaces, dust, fumes/odors, hot/cold temperatures, inside/outside noise, vibration, standing on concrete for long hours and wet or uneven surfaces
Goodman Theatre offers a benefits package including health, dental, and 401K with this position.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination and booster. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and three references by selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page.? Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit goodmantheatre.ourhcm.com.