Website Goodman Theatre
JOB TITLE: Young Performer Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Stage Management
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
HOURLY RATE: $18.00
DATES: 10/19 – 12/31
LOCATION: Goodman Theatre; 170 N. Dearborn Street – Chicago, IL 60601
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
A Young Performer (YP) is defined as an individual hired by the theatre to perform in a production who is 16 years old or younger. The YP Supervisor is responsible for the immediate supervision, welfare, and management of the Young Performer(s) any time they are called for rehearsals, technical rehearsals, and performances.
- Supervise the Young Performers in A Christmas Carol
- Meet the YP(s) and their parent/guardian in the lobby of the theatre and bring the YP(s) to their call
- Create and maintain paperwork to assist YP(s) in tracking their entrances and exits, blocking, costume changes, and props used during the show
- Assist in any YP costume changes needed during the show and ensure they are wearing their complete and correct costume
- Escort the YP(s) to and from the stage for all entrances and exits
- Ensure the YP(s) are safely picked up by their parent or guardian
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with and enjoyment of working with children
- Experience and training in stage management practices and procedures
- Understanding of theatrical rehearsal procedures and performance etiquette are beneficial
- Work as a team member while maintaining a positive attitude in times of stress
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city. The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit goodmantheatre.ourhcm.com.