POSITION: Technical Director, Lookingglass Theatre Company
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 35th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company’s goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
A member of the production team and reporting to the Director of Production, the Technical Director collaborates with production staff and contracted personnel to ensure the design, construction, installation and removal of scenery, rigging and other technical elements for the production season and special events.
The Technical Director will have a leadership role in creating, managing and maintaining the working environment in the scene shop. They will also work closely with actors, designers, directors, crew and staff to shepherd a production process that is focused on supportive, sustainable, and anti-racist practices.
The Technical Director also oversees the reconfiguring of Lookingglass’s black box theatre as designed for each production. This includes the complete transformation of audience seating including a removable balcony.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage and maintain the 12,000 sq ft scene shop and tools in conjunction with the Director of Production
· Hire and supervise the Assistant Technical Director as well as seasonal scene shop positions
· Take a lead role in the scheduling, planning, budgeting, ordering and financial management and implementation of all scenic and rigging elements for mainstage productions and other events as assigned.
· Work collaboratively with designers to reach a final scenic product which is in-line with design intent while meeting industry standard safety practices, established deadlines and budgetary parameters
· Maintain the scene shop, including all tools and equipment, and conduct shop operations in accordance with the best industry standard practices for safety.
· Manage the Lookingglass’ Sprinter Van, including scheduling its use for production team members, as well as maintenance and repair needs
· Attend and participate in design and production meetings
· Attend technical rehearsals and preview performances as assigned
· Oversee and lead all load-ins and strikes of scenic and rigging elements for each production
· Execute required show maintenance on scenic and rigging elements
· Adherence to and participate in implementation of Lookingglass’ COVID protocols
· Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. We believe that our work and our lives are infinitely more complex, rewarding, illuminating, and nearer to truth when we have a wider variety of human experiences in our room, at our table, and on our stage. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company. (https://lookingglasstheatre.org/aeistatement/)
· Minimum of 3 years of experience in technical direction, a related field, or MFA in Technical Production Theatrical scenic construction including metalwork
· Scenery automation and mechanics
· AutoCAD drafting skills, including 3D
· Theatrical rigging techniques
· CNC Routing Technologies
· Demonstrated managerial experience, preferably with a performing arts organization
· Demonstrated capacity to build and motivate teams within a welcoming and sustainable work environment
· Ability to prioritize and offer a high degree of support under dynamic and emergent conditions
· A desire to learn and implement varying technologies and materials into the production
· Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a large cargo van and a 24’ box truck
· Ability to work nights and weekends for technical rehearsals and special events.
· Ability to work remotely as needed
The following items are physical asks of the position. Accommodations can be made, except as indicated below.
· Ability to repeatedly ascend/descend stairs (Required)
· Ability to ascend/descend and works atop ladders and at a catwalk height of 20’ above deck height
· Ability to move and transport scenery weighing up to 75lb across theatre or scene shop
· Ability to utilize a personal lift and work at height
· Ability to stand for long periods of time
· Health Insurance (choice of PPO or HMO; Organization covers the cost of 95% of the HMO plan. If PPO plan is elected, staff member pays the difference between the PPO plan and 95% of the HMO plan. This is reevaluated annually in July with the adoption of the health plan).
· Vision & Rx plan;
· 12 paid holidays (including Juneteenth and Election Day);
· Vacation, Personal, Sick and floating holidays, including birthday.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
To be considered, please send
Optional: Cover Letter and/or 2 min or less introductory video
Required, PDF Format:
2 drafting example(s)
Sarah Burnham, Director of Production
Subject Line: Technical Director Search
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com