Lyric Opera of Chicago
POSITION: Artistic Finance Manager
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Artistic Operations
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking, and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, company, and city.
Under the supervision of the Vice President, Artistic Operations, the Artistic Finance Manager is responsible for processing and reviewing all financial activity pertaining to the Artistic Department. This position will regularly liaison with Lyric’s Finance and Accounting department. It will play a key role in ensuring the ongoing and accurate processing and review of all Artistic department financial transactions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate leadership in alignment with Lyric’s mission and vision.
- Coordinate, consolidate, and generate annual Artistic operating budget and participate in financial season planning efforts.
- In concert with Artistic Department Directors, work to obtain individual departmental budgets, consolidate data for quick turn around in budget scenario planning.
- Track fiscal year spending against budget and proactively work with the Artistic and Finance departments to resolve variances.
- Create, distribute and manage various financial reports based on Artistic Department needs.
- Through finance reports and software monitor spending, alert Artistic Department heads and Finance liaison if tracking to over/underspend, work to solve problems.
- Leverage finance reports to facilitate monthly Responsibility Report Meetings with all Artistic Department heads. Meet regularly with Finance liaison to review results.
- Under CBA work rules, work with Artistic Department Directors to process and audit weekly payrolls for all Chicago Federation of Musicians (CFM) and American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) personnel.
- Continue to refine AGMA and CFM payroll processes with internal stakeholders.
- Document and create processes to support stronger operational streamline between Artistic Operations and Payroll.
- Serve as liaison, reviewer of payroll reports to ensure accurate payroll processing, sign off on positive pay activities.
- Administer artistic independent contract (IC) payments.
- In partnership with Artistic Operations Associate, process all IC paperwork and payments throughout the season.
- Track contracts and supplemental documents needed to process payment.
- Ensure all IC payments are accurate and paid according to contract payment schedule.
- In partnership with the Finance and Payroll departments, maintain compliance with applicable non-resident alien (NRA) tax requirements for foreign artists.
- Generate and manage itemized, detailed expense reports by opera production.
- Code, track, and report all other non-production-related Artistic expenses.
- Process outside vendor invoicing.
- Contribute to the overall success of Lyric by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in an applicable area of work.
- Exceptional knowledge of Excel.
- Experience managing budgets and expenses, budget to actuals forecasting and cost management.
- Experience generating high-level detailed financial reports and providing guidance based on data.
- Experience with accounting and budget management software platforms.
- Experience working with unions and/or collective bargaining agreements preferred.
- Background or knowledge of the opera industry is ideal but not required.
- Practical organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and oral/written communication skills are required.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who works well in a larger team.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet business needs.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the job with or without accommodations.
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Salary is $55,000-$65,000
Lyric Opera offers benefits including health, dental, vision, 403B (no company match), 401(k) with company match, PTO (including sick, vacation, and personal days, and holidays), life/AD&D coverage, opportunities for professional development, and complimentary tickets.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Visit the link below
To apply for this job please visit lyricopera.applytojob.com.