Website Pegasus Theatre Chicago
Where epic stories take flight.
Job Posting – Playwriting Instructor
Pegasus Theatre Chicago (PTC) seeks playwriting teaching artists for the 2022-23 school year. Playwriting Instructors interact with teachers and are responsible for meeting Young Playwrights program goals. Successful candidates are committed to on-going professional development as arts practitioners and educators and are encouraged to participate in YPF events.
YPF Playwriting Residency Artist:
Playwriting Instructors (TA’s) work with our Young Playwrights Festival education program in the schools and community. TA’s provide playwriting instruction that prepares and support students in crafting one-act plays for the annual competition in a fun, inspirational residency. Great TA’s candidates will have demonstrated experience in playwriting and be passionate about teaching middle and high school students in public school settings.
Example of Responsibilities:
· Teach YPF Playwriting Residencies that inspire students to write dynamic plays
· Lead instructional component based on YPF curriculum with writing prompts
· Participate in pre- and post-planning meetings with fellow teaching artists, PTC staff, and educators
· Provide script feedback and encourage positive peer critique
· Document residency successes and challenges and share with YPF staff and leadership
· Advise staff about school-based concerns including class schedule, lessons, learning, attendance, and facility issues
· Adhere to CPS/school guidelines & policies and to needs of classroom teachers, reporting any incidents or problems to educators and YPF leadership
· Be a positive role model to students, school staff and fellow Teaching Artists
· BA, BFA or related Degree, or proven ability/related training
· 1 or more years teaching and/or mentoring experience with youth
· Strong performing arts background (e.g., acting, storytelling, improv, etc.)
· Love working in a collaborative/team environment with minimal supervision
· Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and writing skills
· Experience working with and promoting an organizational culture of inclusivity, antiracism, equity, and diversity is a plus.
· The ideal candidate is or seeks to become a committed advocate for the advancement of diversity with comfort/experience addressing issues of racial, ethnic, gender, disability bias, and other facets of social justice.
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination is required. Vaccination records will be kept confidential and maintained separately from personnel paperwork. BIPOC teaching artists and those of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We invite you to join our talented teaching team and staff and become part of our vision to develop new artists for the stage by preparing students for success in their creative fields through innovation, engagement and real-world experiences.
For consideration, please include a cover letter, resume and three professional references in your submission – all in one PDF document. Position subject to a background screening. Please email materials as one PDF titled with your full name (example JaneDoe.pdf) to email@example.com.
Pegasus Theatre Chicago is an EEO Employer that values diversity, inclusion and cultural equity. All qualified candidates will receive consideration.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org