Website Porchlight Music Theatre
Chicago’s music theatre center for over 25 years
Porchlight Music Theatre is Chicago’s award-winning home for music theatre, celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for the last 27 years. In residence at the historic, intimate Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, Porchlight completed the best-attended and highest-grossing season in its history just prior to the pandemic. Porchlight delights more than 30,000 patrons each season with a three-show Mainstage season of inventively reimagined classics, recent Broadway hits and new musical finds; a Porchlight Revisits series of rarely seen musicals in limited run with enhanced dramaturgy; a New Faces Sing Broadway cabaret series; and a free Broadway in your Backyard neighborhood-park concert series, in addition to educational programs for students of all ages through classes and camps, Chicago Public Schools and community partnerships.
Porchlight Music Theatre seeks an experienced Wardrobe Assistant to join our team for our 28th season. More more information about the season and the artistic staff please, visit our website – porchlightmusictheatre.org/2022-23-season
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Wardrobe Assistant is a key member of the production team and works closely alongside the Wardrobe Supervisor. They are responsible for ensuring the costume designer’s design is being maintained and replicated at every performance. Additionally, this position is responsible for fostering a collaborative and welcoming environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Wardrobe Supervisor to ensure that the creative team’s costume design vision is accomplished and completed on time and within budget.
- Assist with load-in and set up dressing rooms and backstage wardrobe areas.
- Assist with all laundering and dry cleaning of costumes as determined by the Costume Supervisor.
- Assist with making sure all laundry is dry, ironed/steamed, and all costume pieces, accessories and wigs are ready at half hour.
- Assist actors at half hour with any hair, makeup, or dressing needs.
- Assist with making last minute repairs during performances.
- Assist with any quick changes.
- Assist with providing hair styling assistance and minor wig maintenance as needed during the run.
- Assist with maintaining backstage costume areas and laundry room to standards of organization and cleanliness as set by the Production & Operations Director.
- Assist with strike dressing rooms and backstage wardrobe areas.
- Strong collaboration skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to perform costume quick changes.
- Ability to do quick, last minute repairs such as buttons, zippers, hems and holes
- Comfortability working closely with performers and establishing professional relationships.
- Professional work ethic, strong organizational, and time management skills.
Porchlight requires proof of vaccination for all employees and follows all local, state, CDC and Actor Equity guidelines.
Please send a letter of interest, resume and potential availability via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is a 1099 independent contractor position. No phone calls, please. Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com