National High School Institute
Temporary – NHSI Theatre Arts Core Faculty
National High School Institute: This is a 5-week summer position, full-time day and evening commitment, June 21st –July 29th, 2023. [Option to continue into Musical Theatre Extension from July 30th – August 13th, 2023 available based on qualifications.] Salary is $3,600.
This position is for the National High School Institute (colloquially known as The Cherub program)
located at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal development.
Job Summary: Day-to-day responsibilities include teaching and supervising students, implementing academic program activities, mentoring undergraduate Faculty Associates, attending staff meetings and helping to address staff and student questions and concerns. The Faculty maintains and fosters high standards of professional conduct, managing the safety and supervision of students through enforcement of NHSI policies and procedures. All candidates must possess and demonstrate an interest in the artistic, academic, social and emotional growth of high school students, serve as mature and positive role models for students, and exhibit a strong work ethic and commitment to teamwork.
- Teaching classes in Acting or Voice and Movement
- Electives based on teacher qualifications and interest
- Possibly teaching Performance Theory, or Text Analysis
Morning Core Classes run 8:30am – 11:10am weekdays and some weekends
Electives run 1:00pm – 5:00pm weekdays and some weekends
*Applicants will receive a full program calendar prior to hiring
- Attend program orientation (June 21st through June 25th, 2023)
- Attend Weekly Faculty Meetings during 5 week program
- Follow all NHSI rules and regulations concerning staff conduct, appropriate dress, program procedures, and other responsibilities as set forth in the staff handbook
- Be knowledgeable of administrative policies and University procedures
- Please note that this is not a typical “summer camp” job or teaching artist position -but a 24/7 commitment where Faculty members are expected to be available when classes are in session, for field trips, for performances, and for special events, such as a faculty recital, end of summer banquet and student assessments.
- Master’s Degree in Theatre, or Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre with equivalent professional work
- At least two years of experience in professional theatre environment
- Experience teaching high school students
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic and commitment to collaborative work
If you are also interested in applying for a Directing position, please let us know – you don’t need to apply separately.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications will be accepted through February 15, 2023.
Go to www.nhsi.northwestern.edu and scroll down the home page to Job Opportunities. Or go to www.northwestern.edu and scroll down to Careers – search job #46764
To apply for this job please visit www.nhsi.northwestern.edu.