Website revivalimprov The Revival
Improv-Based Theater & Education Organization
About the Organization
The Revival is inspired by the legacy of iconic Chicagoan, Viola Spolin. Her groundbreaking work on the city’s South Side created a system of games designed to encourage communication among immigrant children. These exercises used simple structures to teach complicated conventions and form the basis of what is now considered “improvisational theater technique.”
Leveraging the tools and techniques first developed by Ms. Spolin, The Revival was founded in 2015 at the exact spot of the first improv theater.* We are an artist-led, education and performance-based company with a mission to affect personal, professional and social change on Chicago’s South Side. The Revival offers a range of community-based performances and a portfolio of workshops, classes and summer camps. Programming is rooted in improvisation as a platform that enables individuals to explore themselves, their experiences, and the world around them. Since inception, The Revival has developed and executed improv-based programming with a myriad of partners from across Chicagoland including: Chicago Public Schools (CPS), The University of Chicago, Adoption Center of IL, Urban Education Institute, Comer Children’s Hospital, Chicago Public Library and many others.
Diversity is a foundational tenet of The Revival. From the performers on our stage, to the artists, teachers and experts “behind the scenes”, we strive to build an organization that is reflective of our entire city.
From our current Hyde Park location, we are excited to expand our footprint later this year with a new South Loop location.
*The Compass Players (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_Players)
This position reports directly to the Founder and oversees and implements all educational initiatives of the organization including: on-premise classes (adult & youth), off-premise classes (CPS, private & parochial school partnerships, etc.), summer camps, and corporate workshops.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the implementation and execution of The Revival’s various educational initiatives (incl. registration, staffing, ongoing student/parent/client communication, teacher/facilitator support, etc.).
- Partner with Founder to meet targeted revenue goals for education programming.
- Staff, train and manage a growing roster of teachers & facilitators with particular focus on our diversity objectives.
- Support the marketing team’s efforts to drive interest & awareness in the theater’s educational opportunities.
- Develop and/or ‘standardize’ curriculum.
- Partner with Founder to identify and develop incremental educational opportunities for the theater.
- Teach classes/workshops that align with candidate’s personal strengths/interests.
We anticipate up to 30 hours per week to start. Regular weekend/evening availability is critical. Administrative work may be completed remotely though frequent in-person presence at our South Loop location is expected.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the theater/performing arts industry.
- At least two (2) years in a management capacity.
- Proven track record of successful management in theater/performing arts.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong decision making, problem solving, and relationship-building skills.
- Well equipped to collaborate with diverse, multi-functional teams.
- Self-starter with a high degree of initiative and the ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Intellectually curious with a desire to improve The Revival’s various educational initiatives.
- Attention to detail (bonus points if you submit your cover letter in a red font).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (or equivalent experience).
- Strong Chicago improv community relationships.
To be discussed.
This new position is available now with an anticipated start date in Summer ’23.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately
Send resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please
Last date to apply: June 1st 2023
The Revival LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Revival pursues a policy of equal opportunity in all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, benefits, advancement, and treatment on the job. This means that The Revival does not discriminate against employees, or qualified applicants, based on an individual's race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, physical disability, sexual orientation, trans-gender status, transsexual status, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, genetic information or for any other reason prohibited by law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com