Presenting stories inspired by history that connect with today's topics
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget of more than $2 million. Since its inception in 1997, the company has garnered more than 50 awards for artistic excellence and business management. TimeLine is now also preparing for its next chapter with the establishment of a new home in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
Through 25 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, TimeLine’s rich production history highlights a mix of perspectives. From LGBTQIA+ experiences (The Normal Heart, Boy) to Jewish experiences (A Shayna Maidel, My Name is Asher Lev) to issues of cultures intersecting and intertwining (A Walk in the Woods, Oslo, The Chinese Lady) to Black life in America (Raisin in the Sun, Kill Move Paradise, Relentless), TimeLine’s collaborative approach highlights many unique and powerful stories. At TimeLine, we believe that we must expand the lens through which history is viewed and fully engage with a multitude of perspectives to better serve and reflect our community and our collective histories.
While our programming seeks to reflect and support our community, we acknowledge that TimeLine has more work to do to transform into a fully antiracist, multicultural organization. Our Staff, Board, and Company are committed to instituting antiracist policies and practices, championing diversity and inclusion on our stages, and fighting back against the years of oppression that our BIPOC colleagues have experienced in the theatre and performing arts industry. You can read more about our ongoing work here: timelinetheatre.com/2020/11/everyones-history.
ABOUT THE POSITION
TimeLine is seeking a Marketing and Communications Assistant, who will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications and work closely with the Marketing and Communications Associate and Audience Services Manager, as well as other areas of the organization. You will enjoy a part-time (25-29 hours per week) schedule and assist the department in meeting the theatre’s earned income goals, support Community Engagement activities, and promote the TimeLine brand, particularly through active cultivation of the company’s social media platforms.
Marketing and Communications
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to formulate and implement institutional and show-specific marketing plans
- Manage marketing/communications budget records and vendor payments
- Assist in creating, and manage, annual marketing/communications calendar and schedule
- Assist in the strategy and execution of email communications, including drafting copy and layout design in Emma
- Assist in media relations activities, including managing press clipping collection
- Assist in creation of publications (such as Backstory and program books), including gathering production details and biographies, creating rough drafts, and supporting the copy editing process
- Assist in regular updates of the website
- Coordinate the distribution of direct mail projects, such as subscription mailings, Backstory mailings, promotional materials, and other communications
- Review and copy edit all marketing materials, alongside the Marketing team
- Oversee TimeLine’s official accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube) in partnership with the Director of Marketing and Communications to maintain a consistent and effective social media presence and active engagement with audiences
- Help develop the company’s social media calendar and content, following established social media guidelines
- Establish a working knowledge of TimeLine’s brand, voice, and unique sensibility to employ on the company’s official accounts
- Research and draft posts for review by the Marketing team and publish when approved
- Identify, measure, and track key performance indicators for social media campaigns
Community Engagement and Events
- Serve as a member of TimeLine’s Community Engagement team
- Assist in initiating, maintaining, and managing promotional partnerships with restaurant, neighborhood, and community partners, as well as memberships with theatre and community affiliate groups, such as Belmont Theatre District and Uptown Chamber of Commerce
- Assist in the administration of Community Engagement team activities
- Support the logistics of events as assigned, including tasks like securing space and sending invitations to on-site coordination and post-event follow-up
Database Management and Analysis
- Establish strong working knowledge of TimeLine’s PatronManager CRM database and use it to execute various administrative and marketing needs such as mailings, email marketing, reporting, and analysis
- Assist the Director of Marketing and Communications and Audience Services Manager in managing and maintaining the data in PatronManager
- Help manage list trades and data analysis through the TRG Data Center
- Create an inclusive atmosphere through honest, clear communication with patrons, staff, and teammates
- Be knowledgeable about the company, our mission, values, current productions, current season, and upcoming events
- Advance the strategic marketing goals of the theatre through thoughtful collaboration with the Marketing team
COMPENSATION AND SCHEDULE
- Year-round, non-exempt, part-time hourly position
- Range: $17.50 – $20 per hour
- Paid time off including vacation/sick time
- 25 – 29 hours/week, generally between the hours of 10am – 6pm, Monday through Friday, with additional evening and weekend hours on occasion. Hours are flexible and can be arranged with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Work is currently primarily completed remotely with personal internet service connection and computer equipment; however, as we return to our long-time home on Wellington Avenue, specific expectations for in-office work are to be determined.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (such as 2-3 years of professional arts or non-profit administration experience) is preferred
- Excellent computer skills, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a proficiency in copy editing
- Demonstrated adeptness in social media environments
- Familiarity with the following is helpful but not required:
- Graphic design and computer design programs, especially Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Email marketing software
- CRM databases, preferably PatronManager
- You are a creative thinker with the ability to work from the conceptual level through implementation
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy, multicultural environment
- You are able to adapt naturally when priorities shift
- You are able to develop strong interpersonal connections with new people and collaborate effectively as a member of a team
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail
- You have a drive not just to complete your own projects and work, but also to participate in organization-wide collaboration. You are positive and forward-thinking
Apply for this position if you are interested in obtaining a foundation in arts administration at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of becoming a prominent civic and artistic leader in Chicago and nationally, distinguished for creating experiences that make connections across our diverse communities and spark reflection and dialogue about the intersection of past, present and future.
TimeLine is committed to monitoring public health recommendations, as well as the best practices for wellness and safety of all of those we serve. If you have any questions regarding COVID safety plans or compliance, please do not hesitate to reach out. For more information on our public COVID safety protocols, you can visit timelinetheatre.com/health-and-safety.
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
Please email, in one clearly-labeled document (PDF preferred), cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with the subject line, “Marketing and Communications Assistant Position.” In the cover letter, which should be to the attention of Lara Goetsch, Director of Marketing and Communications, please be sure to answer the following four questions:
1. Please choose one value from the list below. How have you used that value in a professional setting in the past?
Staff members at TimeLine Theatre share the core values of the organization:
ANTIRACIST: Centering racial equity as we build a just future
COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
COMPASSIONATE: Ensuring a culture of care and nurturing wellness
EXCEPTIONAL: Exemplifying excellence and innovation in everything we do
FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
INCLUSIVE: Prioritizing access in all its form
INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
2. Please describe a successful social media campaign that you led, and how it illustrates your social media engagement philosophy.
3. How can this position and the skills you’ll learn at TimeLine contribute to your personal or professional goals?
4. How did you find out about this position?
We will respond whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, July 22.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org