The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on the Fox River in the heart of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking an Assistant Technical Director (ATD). The organization operates three venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 173-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals, which has amassed over 41,000 series subscribers and has the second-largest musical theatre subscription base in the United States. ACCA proudly celebrated the grand opening of its new Paramount School of the Arts on June 1, 2019 in the John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, bold series of plays and musicals in the Copley Theatre beginning in the 2020-2021 season!
The ideal candidate possesses experience in production scene shops and regional theatres. Experience with automation, 3-5 years’ management, pneumatics, Microsoft Excel, rigging, drafting in AutoCAD, and basic wiring skills are preferred, but not required.
DEPARTMENT – Production Department
DIRECT REPORTING – This position reports to the Technical Director (TD).
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Scene Shop staff, IATSE Stage Crew, Technical Direction Staff, and Production Management staff
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full time exempt; generally 8-9 hour days Monday-Friday; extended hours during tech and load-in; some weekends, evenings and holidays
COMPENSATION – Annual salary range is $35,000-$45,000. Position also qualifies for an excellent benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, and 401k.
HIRE DATE – March 2, 2020 (start date is flexible within the month of March)
POSITION SUMMARY – The ATD will help lead scene shop staff in general day to day activities, predominately focusing on administrative, maintenance, and preproduction tasks.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES – The ATD will help lead the scene shop crew in conjunction with other Technical Direction staff and Shop Foreman in the construction and installation of various projects, both within and outside the organization. The ATD will participate in the creation of and notation of construction drawings in AutoCAD, lead notes crews, attend some technical rehearsals, track purchases made for each production, schedule production and scene shop staff, aide in payroll tracking, create and execute maintenance schedules for equipment, and help with materials tracking/reconciliation.
· Drafting in AutoCAD
· CNC toolpathing (experience not required)
· Notating draftings created by other Technical Direction Staff
· Lead notes calls focused on “punch lists”
· Lead some load-in shifts (2nd and 3rd shifts possible)
· Lead strike crews (2nd and 3rd shifts possible)
· Aid in rigging preparation
· Track spending and reconcile expenses in relation to budgets
· Organize and submit receipts and invoices
· Schedule IATSE crews within the organization
· Create maintenance schedules for production equipment and facilities in venues and shop
· Participate in general shop organization and maintenance
· Aide in payroll approvals and submissions
· Some carpentry, metal work, wiring and loading/unloading
· Other duties as required by TD and Production Staff
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
Minimum three years of experience working in professional theatre
· Superior organization skills
· Able to comfortably lift and manipulate 75 pounds
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
· 3-5 years in management in a commercial scene shop or regional theatre environment
Current knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
· Basic carpentry, metal work, wiring and pneumatics
· Drafting creation in AutoCAD
· Ability to drive a 26’ box truck
· Experience loading in large-scale scenery
· Basic rigging knowledge – ETCP certification preferred
· 3D drafting in Sketchup, AutoCAD or equivalent
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and exactly TWO references using the online job application.
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: Jason Pikscher, 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506