Aurora Civic Center Authority
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a Front of House Assistant Director. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2021-2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
· making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
· introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
· and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT – FRONT OF HOUSE
DIRECT REPORTING – Director of Front of House
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Entire organization
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full time non-exempt; schedule will include some weekends, evenings and holidays.
COMPENSATION –Annual salary with excellent benefits package including health, paid time off, and 401k.
HIRE DATE – Immediate
POSITION SUMMARY – The Front of House Assistant Director will take a lead role, alongside the Director, to manage the day to day business operations of all ACCA performance spaces. This position will collaborate with colleagues across departments to implement and maintain superior patron care and safety standards.
· Take lead role in concession products and sales for the organization; continuously assess and improve sales by identifying opportunities and weaknesses, and solicit new sources of revenue
· Manage and develop a strong team of bar staff, FOH associates, security, gatekeepers, and grounds crew with a commitment to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity
· Generate sales reports with the accounting department
· Negotiate contracts
· Ability to analyze sales reports to recommend pricing and sourcing of products
· Handle stressful situations calmly, rationally, and tactfully
· Become proficient in emergency, first aid medical attention and evacuation protocols relative to large events and social gatherings
· Become proficient with front of house technology and maintenance, such as POS systems, scanners, assisted hearing devices, etc.
· Ability to house manage and work events at the Paramount Theatre, Copley Theatre, Meyer Ballroom, RiverEdge Park, Stolp Island Theatre and other event locations as needed
· Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of customer service, integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality
· Ability to work independently, taking initiative, with little direction
· Other duties as assigned
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES –
· Previous Restaurant / Bar Management experience a plus with an emphasis on high volume, quick service
· Live events, entertainment and/or theatre background a plus
· Ability to execute the job and deliver on time results within budget
· Ability to apply conflict resolution and problem-solving skills in a team-oriented environment
· Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment
· Demonstrated experience leading and managing, supervising, training, and motivating a team
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively in fast-paced environment, handle multiple tasks at once and demonstrate flexibility in light of shifting demands & priorities
· Ability to lift and carry up to 30lbs
· Ability to stand for long periods of time without sitting or leaning
· Possess the ability to bend, stretch, twist or reach with your body and arms, work under variable temperatures and noise levels
· Highly computer literate and proficiency with Microsoft Office required
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
· Must be willing and able to work flexible, and sometimes long, hours/days, including evenings and weekends reflective of the dynamic schedule of live events and the theatre
Due to frequent and necessary interaction with members of the general public, performers, fellow employees and other individuals, successful candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before they begin work and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. “Fully vaccinated” as defined by the CDC means that at least 14 days have passed following receipt of the final dose of an FDA authorized Covid-19 vaccine.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at the link below.
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: (Maureen Morrison) 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
To apply for this job please visit paramountaurora.com.