The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on the Fox River in the heart of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a Merchandise Associate. The organization operates three venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 173-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals, which has amassed over 41,000 series subscribers and has the second-largest musical theatre subscription base in the United States. ACCA proudly celebrated the grand opening of its new Paramount School of the Arts on June 1, 2019 in the John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora.
DEPARTMENT – Front of House
DIRECT REPORTING – Merchandise Coordinator/Front of House Managers
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Flexible part-time, hourly; hours vary and require evenings, weekends, and holidays. Hours are event dependent.
HIRE DATE – October 2019
· Provide day-of sales assistance for patrons and staff in regards to Broadway, Paramount, or visiting artist merchandise.
· Handle cash, credit or gift card sales with ease utilizing basic math skills and our point-of-sale system.
· Provide superb customer service to all patrons and visitors to the Paramount Theatre by being welcoming and accommodating to their needs with a positive and upbeat personality.
· Assist Merchandise Coordinator with tasks including inventory maintenance, merchandise set-up and merchandise display dismantling.
· Maintain the appearance of any merchandise area so that displays are neat, organized and appealing to patrons.
· Help maintain an organized storage area for any excess merchandise and/or supplies including merchandise stand storage and closet space.
· Be responsible for timely arrival and attendance for scheduled shifts.
· Handle stressful situations calmly, rationally, and tactfully.
· Provide assistance to other staff members as needed including our volunteer ushers and Front of House Associates.
· Become familiar with scanner technology and scanner maintenance so that you are able to assist with ticket scanning as needed.
· Communicate and problem-solve with all Paramount Staff as needed to foster the best experience for our patrons, guests and visitors.
· Become familiar with our organization, the Broadway Series, upcoming events, as well as downtown Aurora so you’re able to connect with patrons and answer any questions that may arise.
· Other duties as assigned by the Merchandise Coordinator and/or the Front of House Management Team
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES –
· Previous retail experience required
· Previous Point-of-Sale system experience preferred
· Reliable and personable with a welcoming spirit; must be able to adapt to changes in a fast-paced work environment
· Team Player with a positive demeanor and can-do attitude
· Ability to demonstrate unfailing commitment to customer service and respond promptly to customer needs while upholding the organization’s values.
· Experience with or willingness to quickly and adeptly learn the setup and maintenance of equipment and displays as they pertain to merchandise
· Experience with or interest in working for a not-for-profit theatre and/or entertainment industries
· Must show respect towards volunteers and other staff members
· Must have a flexible schedule: Availability for matinee and evening performances during our Broadway Season Shows, including some holidays as well as the willingness to work select shows for visiting artists as needed
· The ability to stand without sitting or leaning for 3-5 hours
· The ability to lift, push and/or carry objects up to 50 lbs
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: Melinda Ray, 8 E Galena Blvd, Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com