Website Aurora Civic Center Authority
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a part-time Event Coordinator Intern. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
· making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
· introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
· and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
DEPARTMENT – Special Events
DIRECT REPORTING – Special Events Director
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Rentals Mgr. and Event Coordinators
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Flexible schedule, but must commit to at least 8 hours a week (nights and weekends required).
COMPENSATION – Unpaid. Candidates must receive college/university credit. Other benefits include complimentary tickets and valuable experience and networking opportunities.
HIRE DATE – Immediate
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
· Learn and gain knowledge about event coordination and entertainment industry.
· Observe various aspects of renting multiple facilities including but not limited to responding to inquiries, initial tours, client meetings and consultations.
· Demonstrate a desire to learn all aspects of special events from contracting and advancing events through day-of execution.
· Be present at the venue during several events throughout the internship including events at our outdoor venue.
· Interact with clients for pre-event meetings as well as day of event.
· Exemplify a positive attitude especially during stressful situations.
· Remain focused during important tasks that require a high level of detail.
· Assist Event Coordinator with advancing details for a variety of events and banquets.
· Shadow various staff not only in Events Department but in other departments in the company.
· Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required, and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES –
· Current knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
· Must be able to receive college/university credit for internship
· Creative, so when given a mock project, intern can produce a vision of potential outcomes.
· Motivated, self-starter who can take minimal directions and see a mock project in area of their degree from start to completion.
· Hands-on with set-up and tear-down of venues.
· Has a desire to learn about an event site from the ground up especially in areas of client interaction and guest experience.
· Able to stand for long periods of time.
· Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Students must have written recommendation from the staff or faculty member at their college/university that has oversight of the internship program. Recommendation must be submitted with the application. Applicant will not be allowed to start the internship without one of the following: transcript confirming that the student will receive college credit for internship, proof of class registration, or certified letter from the participating institute.
Due to frequent and necessary interaction with members of the general public, performers, fellow employees, and other individuals, successful candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before they begin work and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. “Fully vaccinated” as defined by the CDC means that at least 14 days have passed following receipt of the final dose of an FDA authorized Covid-19 vaccine. Additionally, Covid-19 boosters are required for eligible employees.
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at the link below.
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: (Jennifer Hahn), 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
To apply for this job please visit paramountaurora.com.