Position Description – Theater Manager
The Beverly Art Center’s (BAC) Theater Manager has the daily responsibility for the technical operations of the Beverly Arts Center performance spaces. The position requires experience in theater technology such as lighting, sound, set design and construction. The Theater Manager will directly support BAC events such as theater productions and recitals, outside events such as concerts, public meetings and other events. The Theater Manager is also responsible for maintaining all theater equipment and technology as well as all BAC theater spaces.
Candidates should have a working knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation. Additionally, they should have experience with stage management, computerized lighting systems, stage carpentry and appropriate safety procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
• Designs and constructs sets for BAC productions as needed. • Serves as a board operator for productions.
• Orients facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of the theater. Facilitates the use of the technical facilities by the working in or renting the facility.
• Serves as the technical contact for events and coordinates schedules for load in/out, sound checks, and rehearsals.
• Assists in recruiting, training, and scheduling of volunteer and paid technical staff for individual shows.
• Participates in the preparation and control of production budgets. • Attends or leads productions meetings.
• Keep all areas of the theater, storage, scene shop, booths, etc. clean and organized.
• Assist in making sure the theater complies with all safety and occupancy codes.
• Monitors the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment. Arranges for equipment repair and replacement within budgetary constraints and performs preventive maintenance.
• Maintains an accurate equipment and supply inventory.
• Makes recommendations to organizational leaders regarding capital purchases of
• B.A. or B.F.A. in Theatre or Stage Management
• 1-3 years of prior theater production experience
• Demonstrated ability to work with young and/or less experienced theater artists
• Must be organized and have good project management skills • Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization
• Excellent collaboration skills
• Ability to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays
• Valid Driver’s License & car required
• A background check is required for this position
• Must be able to lift, push, or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools. • This position frequently requires the use of ladders or Genie lift and the ability to
work at heights over 6 feet.
• Familiarity with and ability to use various carpentry and power tools is required.
About the Beverly Arts Center
Located in Chicago’s historic Beverly/Morgan Park/Mt. Greenwood neighborhood, the Beverly Arts Center (BAC) is a multidisciplinary space offering fine arts education, programming and entertainment for all ages. The BAC offers classes in art, music, dance, and theater; rotating art exhibitions by established and emerging artist and a dynamic series of professional plays and concerts. The 40,000 square foot building is home to a 400-seat theatre, an art gallery and two alternative exhibition spaces, music and art studios, art classrooms and event rental spaces including a courtyard and sky-lit atrium.
The Beverly Arts Center, a 501C3 nonprofit organization recently celebrated its 50th anniversary.
Email cover letter and resume. No phone calls.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com