Blue Man Group is an award-winning, global entertainment company that has performed in numerous countries and seen by more than 35 million people worldwide since 1991. A dynamic combination of music, comedy and technology, the show appeals to a broad range of age groups and cultural backgrounds. It is continually refreshed with new music, new stories, new instruments and new technology. Blue Man Group has permanent theatrical productions in Las Vegas, Orlando, Boston, Chicago, New York and Berlin, and a World Tour.
Blue Man Group Chicago is hiring a full-time Resident General Manager. The Resident General Manager is responsible for overseeing the entire production and will have a strong arts management background, with an in-depth knowledge of accounting, HR, sales & marketing and the Chicago market. This position manages a multi-million-dollar budget with 6 direct reports and approximately 110 indirect reports. The RGM, above all, sets an example for all company members and ensures that Blue Man Group artistic vision and values are communicated and understood throughout the organization. The RGM must display exemplary people management skills, superb verbal and written communication abilities, strong interpersonal skills, effective expense and revenue management, high energy, creativity, and a collaborative spirit.
As the Resident General Manager, you will be responsible for:
1. Ensure that Blue Man Group vision and statement of values are understood and supported across organization.
2. Revenue and expense management
· Ultimately responsible for achieving annual EBITDA target of the Blue Man Group Chicago production
· Monitor and interpret attendance, financial, and market trends while leading a sales and marketing team through adjusting systems in response to trends
· In conjunction with the Director of Revenue Management, develop annual performance schedule and revenue goals for the Chicago production
· Oversee the management of off-site events/performances/promotions
· Sales Responsibilities
o Manage a local director of sales directly and indirectly a group sales staff of 2
o Daily track sales patterns against goals with a nimble approach to sales plans based on trends
o In conjunction with local director and BMP, IHQ & agencies, develop annual sales plan
o Manage Box Office, staff of 3 managers and 12 PT agents
· Marketing Responsibilities
o Manage a local marketing director
o In conjunction with local director and BMP, develop annual marketing plan
o Execute the marketing plan
3. Team and relationship management
· Lead a variety of team meetings including in bi-weekly local management, sales & marketing, local direction and company management
· 6 direct reports; Production Manager, Facilities and Operations Manager, Company Manager, Box Office Manager, Director of Sales and Director of Marketing
· Manage team effectiveness, direct communication and disciplinary processes where applicable
· Maintain strong relationships with critical industry entities and partners, including Fox Theatricals (theatre landlord), major sales partners, security service, the Alderman’s’ office, Choose Chicago and the local precinct
4. Operations and show management
· Financial Responsibilities
o Develop and maintain financial forecasts and budgets in conjunction with Senior RGM and RSD Finance Department
o Aggressive expense and cost management
o Oversee accounts payable and receivable including timely approvals of expense reports and invoices due
o Oversee payroll processing
· Human Resources Responsibilities
o Coordinate with RSD Talent Partner to develop an effective hiring strategy to ensure proper levels of staffing always
o Coordinate with RSD Talent to develop, maintain and disseminate policies and procedures
o Monitor evaluation and feedback systems
o Monitor staffing and orientation systems
o Maintain benefits programs
o Manage work environment, morale, conflict resolution
o Ensure that Company Management is represented at nightly circle meetings
o Address local company concerns with/to Senior RGM or Global Head of Sales and Marketing
· Legal Responsibilities
o Monitor and maintain the legal operations, including necessary employment contracts, union contracts, contracts with outside vendors, and all partnership and royalty agreements
o Oversee all property and liability insurance matters
o Monitor and audit box office statements and procedures
o Develop and monitor front-of-house, box office and facility operations in conjunction with General Manager/NATP
o Develop and coordinate procedures with front-of-house staff to ensure a patron-friendly environment
o Develop and support the implementation of customer service guidelines
5. Serve as liaison between BMG and Theatre Management
6. Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications/competencies:
· Managing work: Understanding and supporting the organization’s vision, purpose, and strategies. Developing plans for accomplishing objectives; monitoring status. Considering a wide range of alternatives before choosing the best way to accomplish an objective. Anticipating problems and taking action to prevent them or minimize their impact. Taking responsibility for decisions, actions, and results. Keeping up-to-date on knowledge specific to his/her field. Adapting approach to be appropriate for each situation.
· Managing Others: Providing associates with all the information and resources they need to do their jobs and to feel a partnership with the organization. Coaching and developing associates for current and future responsibilities. Communicating performance goals and standards so that associates understand expectations and how they’re linked to organization’s vision, values, and goals. Providing regular, specific feedback that associates can use to continuously improve performance. Actively listening and responding to associates’ ideas, suggestions, and concerns. Demonstrating a commitment to organizational initiatives with words and actions. Encouraging associates to contribute; recognizing, reinforcing, and rewarding contributions. Encouraging associates to be innovative and willing to take risks; tolerating well-intentioned mistakes.
· Communicating and influencing: Communicating effectively with people at all levels in the organization. Giving specific, timely feedback to manager and others so we can work together more effectively. Gaining respect quickly; building trust and credibility. Contributing to an enthusiastic, positive work climate; energizing others.
· Quality and customer focus: Continuously looking for ways to simplify and improve work processes to achieve better results. Determining the real needs of internal and external customers by asking the right questions, listening, and confirming before acting. Following through on commitments made to internal and external customers. Thinking of creative ideas and innovative actions. Adapting approach to be appropriate for each situation.
· Maximizing resources: Working collaboratively with people in the group and in other parts of the organization; supporting others when requested. Seeking expertise, advice, and perspectives from a variety of sources both within and outside the organization. Working effectively with people who have diverse ideas, perspectives, and values. Maintaining a balance between concern for people and concern for work results.
· Physical Demands:The Resident General Manager is required to walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. S/he must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/careers/talent/ffc25b4d-189e-4df4-ba1d-8f3c123300b2.
We are committed to building a creative and dynamic workplace that celebrates individual differences and diversity, and treats everyone with fairness and respect. BMG does not discriminate in practices or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual's race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local regulations.