The Center for Performing Arts at Governors State University (GSU) invites applications for a Theater Manager position. We seek an individual eager to serve with a spirit of generosity, empathy and inclusion.
GSU is the only regional public comprehensive university in Chicago’s south suburban area, serving more than 5,500 students annually. Governors State University is a cultural destination with its 750-acre campus encompassing the world-renowned Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park, a state-of-the-art 1171-seat Center for Performing Arts venue, and the Visual Arts Gallery with work displayed across the campus. GSU is conveniently located within easy reach of Chicago and surrounding communities with a wealth of cultural and natural attractions.
The Theater Manager is one of the Center’s prime ambassadors, serving as the first welcoming point of contact for vendors, artists, agents, promoters, rental clients, and other constituents. This leadership position oversees myriad aspects of operations and reports to the Executive Director. The position requires strong interpersonal skills, an agile and collaborative style, and the ability to plan, anticipate, and work within constraints to ensure that each event brings an extraordinary valuable experience to everyone involved. We seek an exceptionally welcoming and organized host who can offer “radical hospitality” to guests of all backgrounds, ages and abilities.
• Oversee scheduling and booking activities of the 1171-seat venue and support/auxiliary spaces.
• Execute contracts in collaboration with the procurement department.
• Manage rental events, concession budgets, reports, invoices, and collections.
• Advance and staff events to ensure they meet contractual obligations in collaboration with local hotels and GSU’s custodial, catering, security, facilities, and other departments.
• Provide oversight and supervision to student workers, volunteer ushers, and concession manager during designated shifts.
• Oversee concession operations, bus pick-up/drop off for student matinee groups, venue safety, evacuation and front-of-house procedure.
• Support the academic Theatre and Performance Studies program (in residence at the Center five weeks annually).
• Collaborate with marketing staff on Playbill preparation and other promotional efforts.
• Support production team and special events office with set-up and other contractual matters.
1) A. Any Degree with a major in Business or a business related field.
B. Three years of departmental managerial-level experience in a large public assembly building or theatre.
C. Any combination of the above described education and work experience totaling three years.
2) Two years of departmental managerial-level experience in a large public assembly building or theatre.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre or Theatre Management or at least 5 years equivalent professional experience.
• 5 years of administrative and supervisory experience in theatre or related field is required.
• Experience at an academic institution is preferred.
• Strong written, oral, and organizational skills
• Exceptional organizational skills, time management, analytical & accounting, problem solving and decision-making skills to complete work with accuracy and a keen attention to detail.
• Track record with prudent and proficient management, including experience with cash handling, accounts receivables, budgets, and personnel supervision.
• Computer literacy (knowledge of MS Office, internet)
• A valid driver’s license.
• Ability to lift 55 pounds, walk up and down stairs, and to be on-feet to support event needs for extended periods of time
• Thrive working with diverse personalities, perspectives, and constituencies.
• Experience with accounts receivable, bookkeeping applications
• Food handler’s license, Basset license
• Knowledge of and compliance with labor and alcohol service laws, safety regulations, and crowd control.
For consideration, applicants are required to attach the following:
1: Documentation confirming High School completion or equivalent (use “Transcripts” and/or “Other” to attach document).
2: Online Application – Must be fully completed, include all dates of employment, employment status (full-time or if part-time, include percentages), job duties and responsibilities (full details).
3: Cover Letter.
5: A list of three Professional References.
This vacancy involves a paper exam. Please see the State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) website for additional details at www.sucss.illinois.gov .
Illinois residency is required within 180 days of hire date.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS:
Veterans may be eligible to receive additional points on a passing final examination score. To determine eligibility, submit one of the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
1: Department of Defense – DD214/DD215
2: National Guard – NGB22 Form
3: Discharge Orders
4: Reserves – DD256 Discharge Certificate
**Note: Must be received by the closing date of this posting.