The Center for Performing Arts at Governors State University (GSU) invites applicants for a Cultural Arts Development Director position. We seek an individual eager to serve with a spirit of generosity, empathy and inclusion.
GSU is the only regional public comprehensive university in Chicago’s south suburban area, serving more than 5,500 students annually. Governors State University is a cultural destination with its 750-acre campus encompassing the world-renowned Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park, a state-of-the-art 1165-seat Center for Performing Arts (CPA) venue, and the Visual Arts Gallery with work displayed across the campus. GSU is conveniently located within easy reach of Chicago 37 miles from the Millennium Park) and surrounding communities with a wealth of cultural and natural attractions (learn more at www.visitchicagosouthland.com).
This Cultural Arts Development Director is responsible for strategic fundraising direction for all cultural entities: Center for Performing Arts (CPA), the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park (theNate), Visual Arts Galleries, and Chicago Southland International Film Festival (CSIFF).
S/he reports to the CPA Executive Director and is responsible for execution of fundraising strategy for the Center for Performing Arts. Primary focus will be on foundations and individual giving. Secondary focus will be on working with campus partners to support cultural scholarships, special events support, sponsorships, and integrated digital presence. This person will liaison with donors, institutional funders, Board of Advisors, municipalities, and the public.
- Develop, lead and execute annual fundraising planning campaign for Center for Performing Arts in cooperation with the CPA Director and Board of Advisors to produce effective strategies to achieve income targets across the range of revenue streams.
- Coordinate/Manage grants writing calendar in collaboration with cultural colleagues and Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, supporting grant-writing efforts.
- Focus on identifying, cultivation, soliciting individual giving, stewardship of major donors in concert with cultural colleagues and GSU Foundation.
- Develop and maintain income and expenditure tracking and evaluation systems.
- Produce cost-effective budgets for campaigns and events to achieve action plan
- In coordination with theNate Director and Board of Advisors, participate in the development and coordination of fundraising strategies for theNate and Visual Arts Gallery. This includes annual campaigns and major gifts.
- Ensure that all cultural entities have digital presence and convenient ways to contribute.
- Work collaboratively with GSU Foundation team and cultural entities to ensure solicitation procedures established by the auditor are met.
- Support CSIFF and Theater Performance Arts Scholarship fund solicitation strategies.
- Identify contributed and in-kind revenue prospects and develop cultivation strategies.
- Support key cultural events with focus on major donors’ cultivation.
This position qualifies for an expansive suite of fringe benefits including, various insurance options, paid time off, retirement and investment options, and tuition waivers. Visit: https://www.govst.edu/benefits/
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 plus years’ fundraising experience
- Track record in fundraising: grants, special events, individual giving
- Exceptional knowledge and proficiency in arts management
- Prudent financial management
- Strongly demonstrated strategic thinking and planning skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends/flexibility with scheduling as needed
- Track record in fundraising in the arts
- Preferred experience with grant writing and working with high net-worth individuals
- A track record in securing contributed earned revenues, including grants, and individual giving
- CFRE preferred (not required) or other fundraising training
- Experience working with Board members and major donors
- Appreciation for visual and/or performing arts education and experience working with the community as an advocate for arts education and as an enthusiastic fundraiser
List of Three Professional References
To apply for this job please visit employment.govst.edu.