About the Chicago Humanities Festival:
The Chicago Humanities Festival connects people to the ideas that shape and define us, and promotes
the lifelong exploration of what it means to be human. CHF fosters curiosity, celebrates creativity,
explores the boundaries of contemporary knowledge and culture, and challenges us to see ourselves and
the world anew. The Festival envisions a city and society in which its members engage in thoughtful
dialogue, explore a diversity of ideas and come together to find positive solutions. Collaborating with
many of Chicago’s major cultural and educational institutions, CHF produces over 130 events annually all
across Chicago. CHF has a national reputation for featuring some of today’s most important, influential
and inspiring minds—exceptional authors, scholars, journalists, performers and visual artists—both on
stage and online.
Chicago Humanities Festival fall dates: October 22-December 9 (Events typically are held on
Saturday/Sunday days or evenings and weekday evenings)
CHF is seeking part-time seasonal House Managers to oversee front of house operations and supervise
teams of volunteers at our fall festival programs. These positions primarily require weekday evening or
weekend availability throughout the festival, as well as the ability to attend both a compensated
pre-festival orientation and a venue walk-through. Hours are dependent on the needs of the assigned
program(s) and your availability. House managers are paid $20/hour. Weekday evening shifts average 4
hours, weekend shifts average 11 hours.
● Ensure a safe, welcoming, inclusive environment for audience members, fellow staff, and
volunteers by being a point of authority for CHF’s community guidelines.
● Attend training session and attend site visits to assigned venue(s) prior to the Festival with the
● Monitor and manage festival crowds in primarily general admission venues.
● Facilitate accessible seating for people with disabilities.
● Work collaboratively with CHF stage manager and venue staff to coordinate front and back of
● Train, supervise, and assist volunteers with ushering and ticket scanning.
● Complete post-program reporting and evaluation.
● Minimum one year experience in theater house management, guest services, or hospitality.
● Ability to lead and be part of a team.
● A demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service and enjoy working with the public.
● A professional demeanor with good communication skills.
● Tech-savvy with general understanding of Apple IOS devices.
● Strong organizational skills and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
● A demonstrated resourcefulness and independence in problem solving/troubleshooting.
● A demonstrated flexibility and grace under pressure.
● Due to the nature of our events, availability to work weekday evenings or weekends.
● Prior experience with arts or cultural organizations a plus, though not required.
● Prior training in diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility a plus. Be sure to describe your
experience in these areas if applicable.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
The Festival is committed to providing a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, where all employees
and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or
identity, education or disability, feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory
approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments,
programs, and policies. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all
voices are valued and heard.
Work Environment / COVID-19 safety
As part of our commitment to providing a healthy and safe workplace, CHF is requiring employees,
contractors, and volunteers to provide proof that they are vaccinated against COVID-19 within the first
week of employment. If a vaccination is not possible, a request for a medical or religious exemption can
be made with Human Resources. Our events require mask wearing when not actively eating or drinking.
Email the following materials to David Carrasquillo, Audience Services Manager, at
● Cover letter (optional)
● Resume or CV
Due to the high volume of applications, please format subject lines as shown below:
2022 Fall HM Application: [Your Name]
[Example] 2022 Fall HM Application: Jane Gonzalez
Candidates who are selected for an interview will be notified via email.
Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment at the conclusion of the interview process, will
be asked to consent to an Illinois Background Check. Results of the agreed-to background check will not
prevent employment. CHF follows the guidelines outlined in Illinois Senate Bill 1480.
We look forward to reviewing your materials.
Email applications only. No phone calls please. Accessibility accommodations during the interview process
can be made.
To apply for this job please visit www.chicagohumanities.org.