Website Chicago Shakespeare Theater
The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for managing the processes of the Wardrobe department for all Chicago Shakespeare productions. This position creates and maintains paperwork to assist the Dresser(s) and Wig Attendant throughout tech with costume, hair, and makeup changes, and manages those staff on a daily basis. The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for managing dressing room assignments, coordinating dry cleaning schedules, and keeping the Costume department infrastructure maintained and well stocked.
- Staffs, schedules, and manages wardrobe, hair, and makeup staff for Chicago Shakespeare productions and events.
- Creates paperwork that details the costume plot for each show to prepare Dresser(s) for their tracks.
- Updates costume plots based on information from rehearsal reports and costume design development.
- Maintains costume inventory.
- Shops for Costume Shop, laundry, and craft supplies.
- Schedules and coordinates dry cleaning.
- Assists with Understudy fittings.
- Attends and runs Understudy track for put in rehearsals.
- Serves as swing/cover Dresser on Chicago Shakespeare productions or, when schedules do not allow, hires and prepares swing Dressers to cover as needed.
- Assists with events where costumes are required, including access programs and media appearances.
- Facilitates rentals of Chicago Shakespeare costumes as time permits.
- Tracks labor and costs for Wardrobe department.
- Completes other duties as assigned and appropriate.
- Minimum of 2 years’ professional theater experience or equivalent, including experience managing run of show personnel.
- Strong understanding of the process of setting and running wardrobe for theatrical performances.
- Laundry skills.
- Intermediate hand and machine sewing skills.
- Excellent time management skills in completing tasks and overseeing the completion of tasks.
- Ability to use creative problem solving.
- Active desire to collaborate with others and work as a member of a team.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and listening skills.
- High degree of self-motivation and attention to detail.
- Perform a variety of physical tasks including but not limited to climbing, stooping, pushing, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and pulling.
- Manipulate rolling costume racks of up to 50 lbs.
- Lift baskets and large/bulky costumes.
- Bend and kneel on the floor during costume changes.
- Work in small spaces.
- Move and work quickly in a time-sensitive environment.
Working Conditions and Environment
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be necessary at times, with work schedule varying based on the needs of each production.
- Position will primarily function at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, Illinois, but will at times work in other locations such as offsite performance spaces.
About Chicago Shakespeare Theater
Founded in 1986, the Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s onstage work includes as many as twenty productions and 650 performances annually. A Regional Tony Award recipient, CST produces a bold and innovative year-round season—plays, musicals, world premieres, family productions, and theatrical presentations from around the globe—alongside nationally recognized education programming serving tens of thousands of students, teachers, and lifelong learners each year. As a nonprofit organization, the Theater works to embrace diversity, prioritize inclusion, provide equitable opportunities, and offer an accessible experience for all. On the Theater’s three stages at its home on Navy Pier, in classrooms and neighborhoods across the city, and in venues around the world, Chicago Shakespeare is a multifaceted cultural hub inviting audiences, artists, and community members to share powerful stories that connect and inspire.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, equity, and access, as well as promoting a safe and supportive work environment embodying the Theater’s core values of service, collaboration, and ingenuity.
Please apply at this link: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=38271&clientkey=4621FBE113149577F5420D7C0E70621D
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.