Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Scenic Department Intern applications for Summer 2019. Applications must be received by March 1, 2019.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of our new flexible performance space, The Yard in 2017, the Production department ensures unique learning experiences for our interns.
CST’s Scenic Department internship offers professional experience for qualified college students and recent graduates who are actively pursuing careers in technical direction and construction for the stage. Working in conjunction with the Scenic team, interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and are given challenging, hands-on work that directly furthers the build of upcoming productions.
The Scenic Department Internship will begin in late May or early June. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience as a carpenter/stagehand/technician.
- Basic knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Basic knowledge of counterweight systems and spot rigging techniques.
- Basic knowledge of CAD software and technical drafting for the theater.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team.
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task.
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Working directly with the Scenic Supervisors and Technical Coordinator to understand the overall scope of scenery construction including changeover, strikes, and load-ins.
- Working closely with staff to coordinate equipment inventory, repair, and maintenance in the Courtyard Theater, Yard Theater, Upstairs Theater, and various rehearsal spaces.
- Assisting with notes, inspection, and daily maintenance tasks.
- Assisting with researching, locating, building, crafting, and purchasing scenic elements and accessories.
- Contributing to friendly, clean, and safe working practices in the shop.
- Working closely with other technical departments and visiting theater professionals.
- Assisting on special projects as needed.
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through “industry” offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
To be considered for a Scenic Department Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
A cover letter stating:
Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
Your available start and end dates
Hourly time commitment each week
How you hope this internship will support your future goals
A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.