TITLE: Director, Major Gifts
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Director will manage his/her own portfolio of major gift prospects, including the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of those individuals and will secure annual, endowment and special project funding including the CSOA’s Partner with a Player program for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association. In addition, the Director will manage the major gift officers (3) within the Department to ensure, along with the Vice President of Development, that all solicitation plans for major gift prospects are coordinated, implemented and goals achieved.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Play a key role in ensuring that the overall fundraising goals of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association are achieved each year.
2. In coordination with the Vice President of Development, identify, evaluate, cultivate and solicit major gift donors for restricted, annual, special project funding and endowment gifts to the CSOA.
3. Plan and implement a fundraising program for the CSOA’s Partner with a Player initiative, six-figure annual support to name a position in the orchestra, which represents $1.7 M in yearly support.
4. Work with (solicit, stewardship, etc.) 50 to 75 major donors ($25,000+) and 25 prospects/upgrade candidates.
5. Provide supervision to three Major Gifts Officers, establish annual and quarterly fundraising goals and provide regular progress reports to Vice President of Development.
6. Collaborate with Vice President of Development, senior development staff and campaign counsel on CSOA’s Endowment Campaign and coordinated solicitation efforts.
7. Engage the CSOA’s President, Vice President of Development, department heads, trustees, orchestra members and other staff in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors, and actively support their involvement;
8. Prepare proposals and assist in the preparation of stewardship reports for all major gift donors within his/her portfolio.
9. Manage expense budget for the major gifts area.
10. Work with development colleagues and volunteers to identify new prospects.
11. Maintain accurate, up-to-date tracking of all major gift prospects and donors and appropriate documentation of all gifts.
12. Manage special projects as assigned by the Vice President of Development.
13. Attend and assist with development-related events and concerts throughout the year including some evenings and weekends.
14. Other duties as assigned.
1. Reports to the Vice President of Development.
2. Direct reports include three major gift officers.
3. Other contacts include: donors, donor prospects, trustees, orchestra members, subscribers and staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1. Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
2. A minimum of seven years increasingly responsible development experience. Experience in a performing arts organization preferred.
3. Proven track record with personal solicitations.
4. Experience in managing staff.
5. The ability to work autonomously while keeping direct supervisory and volunteers apprised of issues, problems, opportunities and progress.
6. Ability to work collaboratively with development colleagues to create a results-driven, team oriented environment.
7. Excellent writing and communication skills.
8. Computer literacy, including word-processing, database, and spreadsheet proficiency. Tessitura experience preferred.
9. Project management skills.
Pleasant office environment.
To apply for full-time, part-time or seasonal positions with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association:
Please email your cover letter, resume and salary history (PDF or Word attachments only) to email@example.com.
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association
Human Resources Department
220 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60604
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to 312-294-3838.
The Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association is an Equal Opportunity employer which values and encourages a diverse workforce.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@cso.org