Powerful Stories. Crucial Conversations. Transforming Chicago.
Collaboraction, Chicago’s theater for social change, collaborates with a diverse community of Chicagoans, artists and community activists to create original theatrical and virtual experiences that cultivate dialogue and action around the world’s most critical social issues. Since the company’s founding in 1996, Collaboraction has pushed artistic boundaries working with more than 3,000 artists to bring more than 60 productions and events to more than 150,000 audience members.
TRIAL IN THE DELTA: THE MURDER OF EMMETT TILL
The critically-acclaimed play written by G. Riley Mills & Willie Round based on the Mississippi vs. Milam & Bryant trial transcript is returning to DuSable Museum in February 2023, co-directed by Dana N. Anderson and Anthony Moseley. A video version of the script co-produced with NBC Chicago has been nominated for an Emmy Award and is currently streaming on NBCChicago.com and the Peacock App.
Trial in the Delta takes us to the actual court proceedings that played out in Sumner, Mississippi in 1955. Key characters, based on real life, include presiding judge Curtis Swango, defense attorney J. J. Breland, district attorney Gerald Chatham, and, of course, J.W. Milam and Roy Bryant, the two men who were found not guilty of murdering Emmett Till, but later admitted to the heinous crime. Actors portraying witnesses for the defense and prosecution, including Emmett Till’s mother, Mamie Till-Bradley and other family members, will be seated among the audience, bringing the courtroom action to vivid life in a documentary-style setting.
Collaboraction is seeking a PROPS DESIGNER for this project.
The props designer will:
- Provide all designs for props.
- Oversee and participate in the build, purchases, and rentals necessary to execute the designs for Production.
- Ensure a list of all purchased/rented materials is provided to Producer.
- Attend rehearsals, and tech as necessary to design the Production.
- Attend all production meetings as well as any additional meeting with the director and production team members as necessary to design and execute the designs for Production.
- First Production Meeting – Thur., 12/3 at 3 pm.
- All Production Meetings following will be TBD based on availability (mostly via Zoom)
- In Person Table Read – 12/7
- Rehearsals –1/21, 10 am – 3 pm
- 1/24-1/27, 1 pm – 5 pm
- 1/28, 10 am – 3 pm
- 1/31-2/3, 1 pm – 5 pm
- 2/4, 10am – 3pm
- Tech –
- 2/7 & 2/8, 11am-10pm (with an hour lunch break)
- Preview –
- 2/9, 9:30am CALL, 10:30am student performance, 1pm LUNCH, 2pm – 5pm NOTES
- Performances –2/10, 2/11, 2/16, 2/17 and 2/18 at 7:30pm
- 2/19 at 3:30 pm
Send a brief cover letter, resume, and link to portfolio (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com