POSITION TYPE: FULL TIME
REPORTS TO: COSTUME SHOP MANAGER
The Costume Department First Hand is a full-time position reporting to the Costume Shop Manager. This position is a 32-40 hour a week position in the costume shop.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists in the creation of patterns, including the trueing of patterns.
- Cuts fabrics based on patterns supplied by draper.
- Makes patterns for facings and linings based off original pattern or original garment.
- Construct, alter, embellish, and repair costumes.
- Prepares alterations for stitchers.
- Supervises other costume sewing staff and maintains Drury Lane standard construction practices.
- Ensure all costumes are labeled for proper identification.
- Attends fittings when draper is unable to attend.
- Contributes to a positive, proactive work environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Costume Director and Shop Manager.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Basic pattern drafting skills (flat patterning).
- Ability to use industrial sewing equipment (machines, irons, etc).
- Basic knowledge of fabric types and uses.
- Working knowledge of stretch fabrics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Minimum: Bachelors’ Degree in Theatre Design/Technology or Fashion Design OR 2-3 years professional experience as a first hand or draper in a commercial shop or equivalent theatre, opera or ballet company.
- Must be able to come to work promptly and regularly.
- Must be able to take direction and work well with others.
- Must be able to work under the stress of deadlines.
- Must be able to concentrate and perform accurately.
- Must be able to manage other team members and work flow effectively.
- Must be able to react to change productively and professionally.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Drury Lane Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, religion, race, color, disability, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, parental status, status as a protected veteran, or other non-merit factor.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit applications via email to:
Nicole Boylan, Costume Shop Manager
Please include First Hand in the “Subject” line.
Applications should include: cover letter, resume, and three references.
To apply for this job email your details to N.Boylan@DruryLane.com