Under the direct supervision of the Properties Design Supervisor, the Prop Assistant is responsible for assisting with properties design, construction and maintenance, assisting with loading props in and out of the theatre, and assisting with properties rentals and warehouse maintenance.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Assisting the Properties Design Supervisor in designing, building, acquiring, and repairing rehearsal and show props.
- Assisting the Properties Design Supervisor with loading in props to the rehearsal room and to the theatre.
- Collaborating with the Prop Designer, Stage Management, and Actors on adjusting or creating props to better fit the actors’ needs.
- Assisting the Properties Design Supervisor in addressing prop notes as they arise during tech week.
- Restocking rehearsal props after a production opens and show props after a production closes.
- Leading a team of over hire labor in loading out and packing props during the strike process.
- Assisting with prop rentals and warehouse maintenance, including organizing the properties stock, organizing shop and project areas, and repairing or refurbishing props in stock.
Experience and Knowledge Required
● A minimum of 3 years professional experience required in prop construction, soft goods and basic carpentry.
● Knowledge of, experience with and proficient ability to use power tools, grommeting, welding, hand and machine sewing required.
● Knowledge of period styles and décor.
● Knowledge of the usage of various paints, glue, and media.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications required.
● Must be comfortable driving a cargo van; experience driving a 24’ truck is a plus.
● Must be comfortable with heights, including climbing ladders and operating lifts.
● Ability to repeatedly lift, push, or maneuver up to 50-70 lbs. either alone or with assistance.
● Night and weekend work required.
● Reliable transportation is required.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com