Drury Lane Theatre seeks a Dramaturg to work with us on the following productions:
· The Color Purple – Directed by Lili-Anne Brown, (8/16-9/19/2019)
· Mary Poppins-Directed by Marcia Milgrom Dodge, (9/23-11/21/2019)
· An American In Paris-Directed by Lynne Kurdziel Formato, (12/2/2019-1/6/2020)
This position can work on a show-by-show basis, or can become encompassing of all shows after a period of times.
Position Designation : Contract
Position Purpose and Objectives
This is a contracted position that works under the broad supervision of the Production Manager. The Production Dramaturg is responsible for preparing and researching materials related to the world of the production. The Production Dramaturg consults with the Director, and/or Artistic Director, to curate research and analyze this world, providing this information for the design and rehearsal processes. Collaborating with the Director, the Production Dramaturg takes an active role in communication with the artistic team, cast, Drury Lane Production and Marketing Staff, ensuring successful distribution of the Dramaturg’s analysis, written program notes, and all other relevant materials. Key to the success of this position requires a strong candidate who is active in research and committed to the artistic vision, mission and process of Drury Lane Theatre.
Specific Job Responsibilities(including but not limited to)
1. Meeting with the Director, Artistic Director, and Designers, before rehearsals to establish the parameters and world of the play to begin research. Continuing the research collection process throughout the course of the project, discussing this research with the Director, and then distributing materials to the artistic team.
2. Cultivating relevant analysis, images, and research of the play. Coordinating with the Director to strategize the dramaturgical presentation to artistic team and cast. Setting and meeting deadlines for Dramaturgical presentations.
3. Providing questions, necessary research of time period and history of the play, as well as relevant textual analysis to the Director for rehearsal purposes. Proposing suggestions to the Playwright or Director during the rehearsal and production process as the literary and research source of the world of the production.
4. Working with the Company Manager and Associate Artistic Director, create a well-presented program note by the agreed upon deadline.
5. Providing dramaturgical content for the Marketing Team to use in their campaign. The Marketing Team will formulate the information and outline credit to the Production Dramaturg.
6. Attending a minimum of 2 rehearsals per week (negotiable), as well as all production meetings, designer run throughs, and 1-2 previews. Offering notes to the Director and/or Artistic Director during this process. Coming to work promptly and prepared as required by this position and its deadlines.
7. Functioning in a professional and collegial manner when collaborating with all theatre personnel, professional creative teams, staff, management and other visiting artists.
8. Managing personal work flow effectively, completing tasks assigned accurately and in a timely manner.
9. Problem solving and reacting to change productively and professionally.
10. Taking direction and working well with others.
11. Behaving professionally within the work environment.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, 3 references and links or samples of your work to Wendy Stark Prey, Production Manager, Drury Lane Theatre, email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org