Website Goodman Theatre
JOB TITLE: Front of House Associate (Part-Time)
LOCATION: 170 N. Dearborn St. Chicago, IL 60601
REPORTING TO: Front of House Director
FLSA STATUS: Hourly, Non-Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $16.00-$16.50/hour based on an assigned position per shift (Part-Time, averaging 10-20 hours per week based on performance/event schedule).
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s)such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
Front of House Staff Associates are responsible for ensuring the best experience possible for all patrons who enter the Goodman Theatre. Duties include but are not limited to bartending, selling merchandise at the Goodman Gift Store, handling patron coats/other personal belongings at coat check, greeting/assisting with special events and performances, and other various tasks as needed.
- Greet and welcome guests
- Consistently offer professional, friendly, and engaging customer service
- Identify and anticipate guests’ needs
- Preparation and serving of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- Safe preparation and handling of food
- Assist with maintaining cleanliness of the bar, gift store, and coat check areas
- Insure that Goodman patrons have a superior experience at the theatre
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- At least one year in a customer service role in a high-volume setting. Hospitality experience a plus.
- Must possess outstanding customer service skills, as well as sophisticated verbal and communication skills
- Must have an exceptional understanding of cultural happenings of Chicago
- Highly responsible and reliable to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities
- Ability to be in stationary position throughout an entire shift; during performances maneuver to greet/assist guests
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule. FOH Associates are required to submit weekly availability for AT LEAST three shifts per work week. One of those shifts must be for a Saturday or Sunday performance shift. Performance schedules typically run Tuesday-Sunday evenings, with additional matiness taking place on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Opening Night performances are usually scheduled for Monday evenings.
- Capable of lifting deliveries of up to 50 lbs.
- Bar knowledge is preferred, but not required. Must be BASSET certified or willing to do so if hired.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community—the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negativeCOVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume selecting the "Apply to this job" at the top of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit goodmantheatre.ourhcm.com.