Lifeline Theatre and Remy Bumppo Theatre Company are seeking a Technical Director to work on overseeing all technical aspects of their FY20 seasons. These are both are part time positions working in Lifeline Theatre’s shop. Combined, they create an almost full time position with the ability to take on additional work. Lifeline and Remy Bumppo pay the TD separately.
Lifeline Theatre’s Technical Director works in partnership with the Production and Operations Managers and reports to Lifeline’s Artistic and Managing Directors. The primary responsibility of the technical director is to oversee all technical aspects of all MainStage and KidSeries productions and the annual winter Fillet of Solo Festival.
These duties include, but are not limited to:
· Assist Production Manager in managing overall technical aspects of each production.
· Work with designers to realize designs and remain within production budgets.
· As a part of the staff production team, maintain timely communication to design team members and Lifeline staff and proactively inform Artistic and Managing Directors of any potential issues.
· Estimate time and materials, create price outs for the Production Manager, order and purchase all materials necessary for scenic construction, ensure completion of set construction, maintain time and material budgets, technical and structural integrity and enforce health and safety standards.
· Hire and supervise all carpenters, assistants and scene shop interns and track and submit payroll hours.
· Schedule and supervise all work for build, load-in, and load-outs.
· Maintain quality and safety standards.
· Prepare shows for repertory change over and coordinate the training of stage manager, cast and staff.
· Maintain sets throughout the duration of the run of a show.
· Maintain scene shop, paint room, tools and basement storage and oversee maintenance of all physical aspects of stage and backstage areas and enforce health and safety standards.
· In partnership with Operations Manager, maintain and enforce health and safety standards throughout the building.
· Coordinate with Production and Operations Managers in the scheduling of stage and shop usage.
· Maintain an accurate inventory of materials, expendables, stock scenery and soft
· Schedule and manage any shop and/or scenic property rentals or sales.
· When available, attend bi-weekly staff meetings.
· Advanced Carpentry abilities and knowledge of standard theatrical construction techniques
· Basic rigging knowledge and understanding of safe working loads, weight transfer and rigging hardware
· Advanced problem-solving skills to develop creative solutions for our tightly packed repertory scenic needs
· High ability to read technical design draftings and draw construction plans. AutoCAD or Sketchup skills highly preferred
· Attention to safety of carpenters, performers and audience
· Basic excel competency for writing and maintaining budgets
· Strong self-motivation and time management skills to work independently while maintaining budgets and deadlines
· Basic MIG welding
· Basic sewing
· Basic electrical
This position is paid as a part-time employee of Lifeline Theatre will receive a W2 at the end of the year.
Remy Bumppo Theatre Company produces three mainstage shows per year, currently at Theatre Wit in Lakeview. All shows are built the Lifeline Theatre shop. Our Technical Director is responsible for:
· Participating in production meetings
· Drafting construction drawings from scenic design drawings and communicating with designers about any concerns
· Collaborating with production management on purchase and rental of materials
· Working with Lifeline Theatre to manage build schedules in shared shop space
· Scheduling and managing carpenters and painters to execute designs
· Managing scenic materials and labor budgets
· Supervising transport and load-in of completed scenic elements
· Maintaining safe working conditions for all labor and actors performing onstage
· Collaborating with production management to ensure that renter guidelines provided by Theatre Wit are followed and that Remy Bumppo remains a responsible tenant
Remy Bumppo prides itself on quality design and excellence in execution, and we expect our Technical Director to be an invested collaborator in our production process. The ideal candidate would have experience with carpentry, welding, drafting, managing labor and budgets, and have a working knowledge of resources available throughout the Chicago theatre community. This position is paid as a part-time employee of Remy Bumppo and will receive a W2 at the end of the year.
Lifeline Theatre and Remy Bumppo provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Application Details:Please send a letter of interest, along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you if we feel there is a potential match with your skills and experience and our needs. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com