Lifeline Theatre is driven by a passion for story. Our ensemble process supports writers in the development of literary adaptations and new work, and our theatrical and educational programs foster a lifelong engagement with literature and the arts. A cultural anchor of Rogers Park, we are committed to deepening our connection to an ever-growing family of artists and audiences, both near and far.
We are seeking an Assistant Director for our second MainStage production, Middle Passage (directed by Lifeline Artistic Director, Ilesa Duncan). We’re looking for an insightful, articulate candidate with a passion for new work. The AD will assist the director with all aspects of the rehearsal process; specific production research, line prompting etc.
Assistant Director Duties and Responsibilities
In general, the Assistant Director will act as the director’s second eyes and will take rehearsal notes for discussion outside of rehearsal. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Prepare script and scene breakdown.
- May be asked to research and present specific script-related dramaturgical materials for the rehearsal and production
- Attend all rehearsals. Attend all scheduled Production Meetings when possible. Attend Paper Tech.
- Communicate changes and additions to scenic, properties, and costume lists to SM (and ensure delivery to design/technical team).
- During the technical rehearsal period and performances, remain with the director and take notes. If it is necessary to run separate rehearsals while technical work is being done on the stage, the director will assign responsibilities. Attend performances as the director requires.
- When pick-up rehearsals are called, function as director should the director be unavailable.
Lifeline Theatre is striving to build a diverse organization at all levels. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants. We encourage candidates of color and people with disabilities to apply. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, protected veteran or disability status or any factor prohibited by law.
Please send a letter of interest and a resume to email@example.com. We will contact you if we feel there is a potential match with your skills and experience and our needs. No phone calls please.