POSITION: Assistant Lighting Supervisor for 2022-2023 Season
REPORTS TO: Lighting and Video Supervisor
CLASSIFICATION: Part Time, Non-Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 35th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company’s goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
As a member of the production team and reporting to the Lighting and Video Supervisor, the Assistant Lighting Supervisor collaborates with Lookingglass production staff and contracted personnel to ensure the implementation and ongoing maintenance of Lookingglass’ lighting elements including, but not limited to, show lighting, work lighting, and facilities lighting in a safe and efficient manner. The Assistant Lighting Supervisor may need to take on more leadership in the absence of the Lighting and Video Supervisor.
– Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company. (https://lookingglasstheatre.org/aeistatement/)
– Adherence to and participation in the implementation of Lookingglass’ COVID protocols, including providing proof of full vaccination before the first day of employment.
– Work collaboratively with the Lighting and Video Supervisor to reach a final lighting product which is in-line with design intent while meeting industry standard safety practices, established deadlines, and budgetary parameters.
– Assist with prep, hang, focus, and paperwork for Lookingglass’ 2022-2023 season.
– Supervise correct usage of Fall Arrest System during electrics calls.
– Help with load-in and strike of lighting elements, as assigned
– Serve alongside, and lead a crew of 2-10 overhire electricians. Delegate tasks and lead crews as assigned.
– Aid in the research, development, and construction of practicals including soldering, wiring, hanging, and troubleshooting any practicals utilized over the course of the season.
– Attend technical rehearsals and preview performances, as assigned
– Attend production meetings, as assigned.
– Aid in the completion of daily notes over the course of a tech and preview process as well as maintain and manage notes lists.
– Maintain a clean and orderly booth and catwalk area
– Has intermediate knowledge of theatrical lighting
– Minimum of 2 years of experience in theatrical lighting, or a related field, at a collegiate or equivalent level.
– Demonstrated managerial experience, preferably with a performing arts organization
– Ability to read and interpret a lighting plot
– Ability to repeatedly ascend/descend stairs
– Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds individually
– Comfortable doing harnessed work at heights of 30 feet or higher
– Ability to work with flashing lights
– Ability to prioritize and offer a high degree of support under dynamic and emergent conditions
– Significant hands-on experience in theatrical lighting, including wiring and electronics, atmospherics, theatrical fixtures and lighting networks
– Skill with repair and maintenance of lighting equipment and accessories.
– Advanced knowledge of Vectorworks and Lightwright
– Intermediate light board programming experience
– Experience with the maintenance of standard theatrical shop tools
– Intermediate ability in soldering
– Intermediate knowledge of both AC and DC Power
– Valid Driver’s License
Producer commits to the following:
– Opportunity to participate in Anti-racism training
– Fall Arrest for a Competent Person training facilitated by Chicago Fly House
– First Aid/CPR Certification
– Fire Extinguisher training
– Sick Leave in line with the Chicago Sick Time Policy
What to Send Up When It Goes Down: Sunday, August 21 – Saturday, October 1, 2022
The Steadfast Tin Soldier: Monday, October 10 – Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Villette: Sunday, January 1 – Saturday, February 18, 2023 Lucy and Charlie’s Honeymoon: Monday, April 17 – Saturday, June 3, 2023
Candidates with partial availability will be considered. Weekend and evening availability is a must with an anticipated 160 hours of work per show.
COMPENSATION: $24.00/hour, OT at 1.5 times the regular rate after 40 hours per week
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
Current COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory before onboarding, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted in accordance with Lookingglass policy.
Theatre: 163 E Pearson St.
Please contact Lauren Alyssa Skulley IV, Lighting and Video Supervisor, at
LSkulley@lookingglasstheatre.org for more information if interested. No phone calls please.
Submit all application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In subject line: LTC- Assistant Lighting Supervisor Application
Body of email: Short description of your interest in the position.
Attach: PDF Resume & 3 References
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com