One of the country’s largest ensemble theatres
POSITION: Communications and Press Manager, Lookingglass Theatre Company
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 34th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company’s goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
The Communications and Press Manager’s primary function is to be an advocate and storyteller for Lookingglass Theatre Company with press and the public. They’ll collaborate with the Director of Marketing to strategize and drive press coverage for all institutional initiatives, season memberships, and specific productions. The Communications and Press Manager plays a pivotal role in understanding and then communicating the happenings at Lookingglass locally and nationally.
The Communications and Press Manager works closely with the artistic department, Lookingglass staff, creatives, and press.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Press and Media
· Drive overall awareness of Lookingglass Theatre Company with local and national press
· Write captivating press releases and distribute to media contacts
· Create interesting pitches and generate ideas to gain more media coverage
· Build relationships with press, influencers, and folx in the Chicago cultural sector
· Outreach to press and media representatives, including building new contacts
· Monitor and report on all media coverage
Marketing and Communications
· Contribute to all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Create new and share engaging content across all sites
· Copywrite engaging marketing copy and emails
· Keep up to date on artist information and projects, as well as company happenings
· Organize and update Artistic Associate and Ensemble Member biographies
· Contribute to the creation and copywriting of the digital program for each show
· Communicate internally regarding upcoming stories and events
· General institutional ghostwriting as needed
· Learn the Lookingglass institutional voice and apply to all written communications
Press Nights and Press Events
· Plan and execute all press events
· Organize press opening nights for each production; create invitations, coordinate ticketing and seating for all members of the press
· Coordinate press interviews with artists and staff, and attend as Lookingglass representative
· Lead media coaching and prepare fact sheets prior to press interviews
· Current COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory before onboarding, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted in accordance with Lookingglass policy.
· Adherence to and participate in implementation of Lookingglass’ COVID protocols
· Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. We believe that our work and our lives are infinitely more complex, rewarding, illuminating, and nearer to truth when we have a wider variety of human experiences in our room, at our table, and on our stage. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Skilled in a variety of writing styles for different purposes and with varying voices
· The ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and prioritize
· The ability to work under tight deadlines
· Availability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends as necessary
· Attention to detail and accuracy
· Relationship builder
· Passion for the arts a plus
· Ability to work remotely with Lookingglass provided equipment day-to-day, except for in-person events and press appearances
•Health Insurance (choice of PPO or HMO; Organization covers the cost of 95% of the HMO plan. If PPO plan is elected, staff members pays the difference between the PPO plan and 95% of the HMO plan. This is reevaluated annually in July with the adoption of the health plan).
•Vision & Rx plan;
•12 paid holidays (including Juneteenth and Election Day);
•Vacation, Personal, Sick and floating holidays, including birthday.
•In recognition of the unplanned costs incurred by working from home Employee may be eligible for a monthly reimbursement of $30.00 to be evaluated and paid quarterly. Eligibility will be based on the evolution of Lookingglass’ work from home policies and availability of and access to Lookingglass-provided work resources for this position, such as a brick-and-mortar office space.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
To be considered, please send cover letter, resume, 2-3 writing samples, and three references to Maggie McNamara, Director of Marketing, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications and Press Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed and processed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com