The Special Events Manager will report to the Associate Director of Development and provide tactical and administrative support for a variety of fundraising, stewardship, and cultivation events for Lookingglass donors throughout the season. Events include but are not limited to Opening Nights, the theatre’s annual gglassquerade gala, small group gatherings with artists, and occasional donor trips.
A successful candidate will be able to prioritize multiple deadline-driven projects, gracefully adapt in high-pressure situations, and enjoy a team-oriented approach to their work. This candidate knows that taking pride in the smallest detail can have a great impact on our donor relationships.
About Lookingglass Theatre Company
Lookingglass Theatre Company, recipient of the 2011 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theater, is a national leader in the creation and presentation of new, cutting-edge theatrical works and in sharing its ensemble-based theatrical techniques with Chicago-area students and teachers through a wide array of Education and Community Programs. In 2019-2020, Lookinglass’ 32nd season, we will feature one world premiere, Her Honor Jane Byrne, and two iconic returning productions – The Steadfast Tin Soldier and Lookingglass Alice.
Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to fire the imagination, celebrate the human capacity, and leave audiences and performers changed, charged and empowered. Lookingglass combines a physical and improvisational rehearsal process centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and the circus arts. We seek to redefine the limits of theatrical experience and to make theatre exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all.
· Execute event logistics for Opening Nights, gglassquerade, other fundraising events, and stewardship/cultivation events throughout the season
· Create and manage planning and night-of timelines for each event
· Manage invitation lists
· Draft copy for event communications including invitations, sponsorship forms, solicitation and acknowledgment letters, and confirmation emails
· Work with Lookingglass graphic designer to realize event invitations and stewardship/communication pieces
· Build event-related electronic communications in MailChimp
· Identify event staffing needs and coordinate staffing plans with Lookingglass colleagues
· Serve as primary liaison with event vendors including printers, venues, caterers, décor companies, and others
· With the Associate Director of Development, manage event budgets and financial reports
· For gglassquerade and other fundraising events, manage auction solicitations/donations, package descriptions, and fulfillment tracking
· Track event attendance in the Total Info database
· Schedule and prepare materials for gglassquerade committee meetings with Board members, staff, and consultants
· With the Donor Relations and Data Manager, create and generate reports and progress analysis of gglassquerade and other fundraising event efforts
· Serve as a professional and articulate representative of the Lookingglass development team at relevant meetings and events
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor or Associate’s degree (or minimum two years of professional experience)
· Experience in: office administration, project/event management, hospitality management, volunteer management, and/or nonprofit fundraising
· Experience in any of the following would be a plus: relational database systems, MailChimp or other email client, and/or the non-profit and/or arts and culture sectors
· Meticulous attention to detail and organizational methods
· Strong written communication skills (email and mail) with a focus on both tactical and persuasive writing styles
· Proactive, positive approach to projects and problem solving
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
· Effective collaborative working style and team-oriented approach
· Professionalism, integrity, self-motivation, and ability to take direction
· Ability to learn and utilize software systems including Lookingglass’ customer relationship management database Total Info and email client MailChimp
· Willingness to work in an open office environment
· Interest in the performing arts
This is an exempt, full-time position, 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, with some evening and weekend shifts required for events. Salary is commensurate with similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Generous benefits package includes health insurance, vision insurance, and paid time off.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume in PDF format to GHokenson@lookingglasstheatre.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org