Lyric Opera of Chicago
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Audience Services
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking, and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, company, and city.
Lyric is seeking an Associate Director of Audience Services. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of managing the audience services functions of a performing arts organization. As a vital member of the Audience Services and Marketing team, this role guarantees accurate reporting, along with user-friendly procedures for both staff and patrons across all sales channels. The ideal candidate thrives within a dynamic planning process, translating innovative producing ideas into streamlined systems in Tessitura, all while fostering a culture of service, collaboration, and ingenuity. Candidates must have a minimum of four years of experience managing ticketing staff and setting up ticketing sales for a performing arts institution, expertise with CRM software (preferably Tessitura), and the ability to teach others to speak confidently about productions to patrons.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This position acts as a power user of Tessitura, Lyric’s ticketing CRM.
- Primary responsibility for the initial build of each new season, including performances, packages, source codes, and price types, and maintenance of the season throughout the year.
- Key driver on account maintenance and data integrity within Lyric’s CRM.
- Responsible for the annual rollover of Lyric Opera’s patron base into new seasons, and the creation of subscription renewal processes.
- Conduct subscription seating and related patron customer service.
- Address weekly revenue management needs based on demand-based inventory analysis in cooperation with the marketing team.
- Address seating hold needs based on real-time inventory management.
- Provide support related to discount promotions and their setup in Tessitura, as well as cooperative discounts created with external third party ticketing partners. Handle the financial reconciliation of third party ticketing sales.
- Support the Tessitura Training of staff members.
- Troubleshoot Tessitura issues and inconsistencies in orders/accounts.
- Assist with Tessitura version upgrades and training on new ticketing processes and procedures in the system.
- Schedule Tessitura reports as needed to fulfill institutional sales tracking needs.
- Liaise with IT services on ticket printing and setup needs.
Customer Service & Call Center
- Hire, train, supervise, motivate, and support a strong and strategic team including ticketing/customer service, front of house concierge, and identify resources for staff development.
- Assess Lyric’s ticketing needs with a focus on accurate reporting of patron data, customer recommendations, and dictate appropriate solutions based on patron needs.
- Responsible for accurate monthly reporting, budgeting and expense tracking for the Audience Services staff.
- Advise and assist with the implementation, reporting, and using of the Tessitura ticketing system.
- Administer performance appraisals, coaching, and counseling as needed.
- Organize and interpret phone reports to better establish current and future departmental staffing needs.
- Provide training and ticketing support to any Lyric staff who need to process tickets (mainly Development and Marketing and New Tessitura Users).
- Act as Audience Services liaison to Marketing, reporting on general patron feedback and opportunities for process improvement, and as marketing liaison to Audience Services, communicating key dates, policy changes and general flow of all campaigns.
- Review all ticketing and membership-related patron communications, providing edits on clarity and accuracy of ticketing information.
- Assist on phones and provide support to call center staff questions via internal channels.
Administration & Financial Reconciliation
- Work with Finance Department on any inconsistencies in daily deposit and account reconciliation as needed.
- Attendance at and participation in department planning meetings, including institutional strategy and seasonal programming.
- Work cross-functionally with the marketing, development, artistic, and education departments to determine how all audience development events or initiatives might intersect and benefit each group; facilitate clear communication and aligned tactics across departments.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience and at least 4 years of experience in call center or box office management.
- Working knowledge of and comfort working with a ticketing-based CRM.
- Knowledge of Tessitura is a strong plus.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent customer service skills, including demonstrated listening skills to identify the unique needs, interests, and concerns of individuals.
- Strong people management and training skills focused on team-building and nurturing staff development.
- Ability to work and think independently and problem-solve, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- A professional demeanor as a community representative of Lyric Opera.
- Ability to oversee evening or weekend functions or performances.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job please visit lyricopera.applytojob.com.