Position: Bag Search (Security)
Status: Part time, seasonal, non-exempt
Reports To: Patron Services Supervisor
• Sustain a safe, secure and friendly environment for all Opera House patrons
• Search bags or other belongings brought into Opera House for prohibited items
• Prevent the loss of or damage to any Lyric Opera House assets
• Visually observe patrons and your immediate area, reporting all security and safety hazards.
• Provide a deterrent to possible disruptive and/or unlawful behavior, responding to incidents as required
• Assist patrons in emergency situations, including patron accidents, house evacuations, or related incidents that may occur, including monitoring of assigned house exits and maintaining an awareness of crowd management issues, in order to alert supervisory or security personnel to problems.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• At least 18 years of age.
• Previous security officer and/or bag search experience preferred
• Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Illinois PERC card (Permanent Employee Registration Card) and an Illinois security guard license
• As a condition of employment, employee must successfully complete a background investigation and a post-offer/pre-employment drug/alcohol test.
• As a condition of continued employment, employee must maintain current active status of all required licensing documents at all times, and must carry the PERC card and license at all times while on duty.
• Must display exceptional customer service and communication skills.
• Effective customer-service orientation, a clean and well-groomed professional appearance, and “team player” abilities are essential.
• Stand or walk constantly (for up to four hours) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
• Climb stairs, ramps, occasionally during shift
• Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
• Occasionally lift or carry up to 20 pounds
• Constant use of both hands and arms reaching, handling, grasping, while inspecting items being searched
• Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, includes hand/eye coordination
• Read, understand and clearly speak English; constantly use speech and hearing (correctable to normal level required) in communicating with public/co-workers, giving and receiving instructions, using phones
• Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
• Must possess effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with ability to deal with all levels of personnel and the general public in a professional and effective manner; must be able to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines
• Must be able to read and understand all operating procedures and instructions
• Must be able to handle pressure of working with high volume general public
Please send your resume and cover letter, denoting position of interest, to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org