REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Communications
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, our company, and our city.
We are searching for a director of media relations to be responsible for communicating with a range of print/electronic/digital media outlets, critics, and other working members of the media on subjects pertaining to Lyric Opera of Chicago’s productions, artists, events, initiatives, activities, leadership, and more.
The director works with the marketing/PR team, with other departments, and with the media to generate and promote positive publicity for the institution, to stimulate live-performance ticket sales, and to build interest in and appreciation for the organization’s far-reaching activities, its artists, and its staff, as well as its important position in Chicago’s cultural community and in the national and international opera community. This position also provides editorial (writing, copyediting, proofreading) support for a wide range of original Lyric-produced materials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Lyric’s mission and vision.
· Develop and pitch advance feature coverage to local/regional/national/international media on Lyric’s mainstage operatic performance season.
· Respond to media requests for interviews, images, information.
· Assist colleagues in generating media coverage for special events.
· Cultivate/maintain relationships with local/national/international critics, journalists.
· Write press releases re: opera productions, cast changes, company news.
· Copy, edit, proofread marketing/PR materials, including Lyric Lately blog content, digital and print brochures, and promotional pieces.
· Associate editor for Lyric program book and occasional article contributor.
· Work with media and Lyric-hired photographers during company dress rehearsals and also on special projects. Strategize with staff in other departments to determine possible media feature opportunities.
· As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Bachelor’s degree in English, liberal arts, communication, journalism, music, or other related field.
· Minimum 7 years prior experience in public relations/media relations, preferably with a cultural organization.
· Outstanding communication skills, including writing, copyediting, and proofreading.
· Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
· Ability to coordinate with outside agencies, provide oversight and supervision.
· Familiarity with Chicago and national media and creative communities is essential.
· Track record of media placement success.
· Experience in journalism helpful.
· Experience in/knowledge of opera, classical music a plus.
· Familiarity with Slack, AirTable, and ProofHQ helpful.
· Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to operate office equipment.
· Ability to work from home as needed.
· Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments, or performances.
· Traveling throughout building for extended periods of time (occasional, during special events).
TO APPLY: https://lyricopera.applytojob.com/apply/63FWMrnCP4/Director-Of-Media-Relations?source=League+of+Chicago+Theatres
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.