REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Marketing and Audience Development
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, our company, and our city.
Lyric Opera is searching for a seasoned arts or entertainment manager to fill the role of its Director of Sales and Advertising. Reporting to the Senior Director, Marketing and Audience Development, this position is charged with the development and implementation of short- and long-term strategic marketing plans aimed at maximizing ticket sales and revenue for Lyric’s multiple lines of businesses, including main-stage opera, the annual musical, and concerts/special events throughout the season. This individual will drive tactical work in support of Lyric’s marketing plan, including direct mail, media buying, promotions, and partnerships.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Lyric’s mission and vision.
· Work in collaboration with the Senior Director, Marketing and Audience Development and Vice President, Marketing & Communications to conceive and oversee innovative marketing plans to accomplish established marketing and sales objectives.
· Achieve revenue and ticket goals by planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating advertising, direct mail, and promotional activity action plans.
· Create a system for tracking goals and benchmarks by maintaining reports for revenue and sales and provide forecasts, revenue tracking, and expenditure reviews to ensure plans are on track.
· Coordinate detailed schedules, timelines, costs, and expected ROI for each action item. Adjust program based on sales projections and actual ROI.
· Manage customer-focused direct response channels, including e-marketing, direct mail, and other media.
· Work in conjunction with Lyric’s in-house digital marketing team on scheduling and content related to digital and social advertising, social, and SMS platform messaging.
· Work in conjunction with Lyric’s media buying agency to decide upon mix of advertising in print publications, online advertising, promotions, and outdoor advertising.
· Articulate sound messaging strategies within campaigns that integrate both customer and show insights.
· Collaborate with fellow marketing staff to develop strategic partnership activities and implement the plan on identified opportunities.
· Craft and implement strategies for customer acquisition, activation, retention, and win back marketing through CRM segmentation and database exploitation. Increase cross-season attendance by spearheading targeting customer segments with customized messaging and personalized content.
· Oversee creation of all advertising materials, including photos, video, and written descriptions.
· Participate in the development of annual marketing budgets.
· Manage and mentor a team of four marketing roles that support sales, advertising, and marketing functions.
· As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Marketing, Arts Marketing, or equivalent experience.
· More than 5 years of marketing experience with at least 2 years of managerial experience with proven successes in the development and execution of integrated marketing campaigns across multiple channels.
· Working knowledge of and comfort working with:
o CRM expertise (Tessitura, TStats and RMA a strong plus)
o Microsoft suite of products
· Passion for the performing arts, especially opera.
· Strong communication, time management, leadership, interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Experience in writing compelling sales copy for multiple platforms. (Samples appreciated.)
· Effective budgeting skills and a demonstrated ability to work with limited resources while still being creative and effective.
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to prioritize work, use good judgment, pay attention to detail, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency, and carry projects through to completion in a timely manner.
· Results-oriented team player with the ability to take initiative and drive programs.
· Subject matter expert in consumer behavior and direct marketing principles.
· Must be highly self-motivated, personally & professionally resilient and capable of working independently and collaboratively.
· Must thrive in a fast-paced, multi-channel environment.
· Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments or performances.
· Sitting for extended periods of time.
· Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please use the following link to submit your resume and cover letter: https://lyricopera.applytojob.com/apply/CkGzCDA6pV/Director-Of-Sales-And-Advertising?source=League+of+Chicago+Theatres.