REPORTS TO: Director of Sales and Advertising
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
As Lyric Opera of Chicago’s dedicated in-house marketing graphic design specialist, you will be an integral part of Lyric’s branding team. Your responsibilities will include developing the overall layout and design for marketing and Lyric Unlimited collateral materials, including, but not limited to, advertisements (print, online, promotions, outdoor), brochures, interior and exterior building signage, direct mail, and web, email and social media graphics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work to implement the recommendations of Lyric Opera’s branding firm with regard to style, images, colors, and fonts across Lyric design pieces.
- Serve as a Lyric brand identity and design resource to Lyric staff and external freelance designers.
- Work in collaboration with Marketing, Development, and Lyric Unlimited teams to develop design for ad campaigns, direct mail pieces, web/email/social media graphics, interior/exterior signage, etc., at a high volume (often exceeding 30 pieces per week).
- Ensure that final products are of high quality, on schedule, and sent to printer/ad rep in a timely manner.
- Work in collaboration with Creative Project Associate to manage workflow, stay abreast of industry best practices, and implement cost-effective production strategies.
- In collaboration with department leadership, select production photography for marketing use and edit images as necessary.
- Mentor and manage work of graphic design intern(s).
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Graphic Design or equivalent.
- At least four years of graphic design experience.
- Must have portfolio and be able to document effectiveness of designs.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Mac software, including all Adobe CS5 software. Web design knowledge a plus. Knowledge of PowerPoint helpful.
- Interest in the performing arts/opera helpful.
- Impeccable attention to detail, layout and organization.
- Must have a keen eye for design and photography and strive to develop aesthetically pleasing end results. Experience with image work to maximize quality is a plus.
- Ability to receive and process criticism on creative work.
- An understanding of the latest design trends and their role within a commercial environment.
- Strong communication, time management, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited resources while still being creative and effective.
- Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritize work, use good judgment, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency, and carry projects through to completion in a timely manner.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Copywriting experience a plus.
- Ability to occasionally participate in evening or weekend functions, deployments, or performances.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org denoting position of interest at the subject line, or mail to: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Dr, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606. Please provide a link to samples of your work, or artist portfolio. Please state your salary requirements in your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com