REPORTS TO: Director of Special Events
STATUS: Full-time, non-exempt
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
We are searching for an individual to coordinate and execute donor events and the management of Lyric’s private dining space, The William B. and Catherine Graham Room.
Lyric Opera of Chicago’s Special Events Associate position will act as a resource interdepartmentally, cross-departmentally and to our donors on various topics connecting to special events, the Graham Room and donor benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Lyric’s mission and vision.
The William B. and Catherine Graham Room
- Assist with the management of Lyric’s private dining space, including the overseeing the coordination of reservations and cancellations, responses to inquiries via the Graham Room email account, and resolution of perceived customer service issues.
- Supervise the preparation and distribution of attendance lists to internal contacts.
- Oversee the maintenance of membership records, supervises billing preparation, oversee the scheduling of room usage/maintenance, and track inventory and statistical data.
- Supervise the creation of menus and wine lists.
- Serve as primary liaison to catering vendors and is the primary supervisor of catering staff regarding room set-up requirements for all events.
- Oversees the creation of surveys for member feedback.
- Primary lead in the development of the Graham Room member handbook.
- Enter all billing into Navision software to create monthly member invoices.
- Manage the back-end information for Revel Point of Sales system.
- Ensure accuracy in all internal and external materials.
- Budget and track expenses.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of events assigned at the beginning of the season, including but not limited to Cultivation, Stewardship, and Fundraising Events, large Gala events, the donor travel program, as well as other contracted events that may arise with external parties.
- Serve as primary lead in the implementation of fundraising events and activities as assigned.
- Act as liaison between a variety of vendors and internal workforce.
- Prepare event timelines and staffing memos.
- Compose event remarks, compose content and manage print and electronic invitation process.
- Oversee the preparation of invitation lists, printing and mailing of invitations, collecting RSVPs and confirmation of hosts/hostesses.
- Oversee room preparation and provide on-site primary support to manage events and troubleshoot problems that may arise.
- Provide assistance as assigned for special events that may include Planned Giving Events, Production Sponsorship Opening Night Dinners and cast parties, Stars of Lyric Opera at Millennium Park, and other events that may arise during the season.
- Assist with the scheduling of Graham Room and company-wide event calendar via ArtsVision.
- Assist in the maintenance of office filing system and related Development department central filing and oversees office invoices/bookkeeping.
- Complete special projects and provide other clerical assistance to supervisor, as requested.
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Arts Administration or Business or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience in an administrative/office support role to include a demonstrated orientation to detail and the ability to successfully resolve a variety of customer-service issues.
- Must be over the age of 21.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written/oral communication skills required.
- Must be available for regular night and weekend assignments.
- Proficiency with MS-Office products (Word and Excel) is required; proficiency with Google (Gmail, Google calendar is necessary); knowledge of Tessitura and ArtsVision is a plus.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Ability to oversee evening or weekend events, dining or performances.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Ability to sit for an extended period of time.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com denoting position of interest at the subject line, or mail to: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Dr, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org