REPORTS TO: Vice President and Technical Director
STATUS: Full-time, exempt, seasonal (approximately July 2019-June 2020 with annual renewal)
SALARY: Competitive based on experience, paid biweekly
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep, and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the development of all technical aspects of Lyric Opera productions, coordinate implementation of designers’/directors’ requirements, and monitor the installation and running of productions on stage.
- Participate in pre-production meetings, construction coordination, and supervision of summer technical rehearsals.
- Develop and produce technical drawings of scenery and props for shows using CAD.
- Collect and disperse technical information to staff regarding scenery, props, and required stage management documentation.
- Oversee the production of new required show elements including construction and scenic art.
- Research equipment and materials required for specific effects, props, or technical requirements and recommend purchase(s).
- Attend and oversee setup and scenery shifts for rehearsals and performances; provide assistance to the Director, Designers, musical staff, and stage management staff concerning scenery, props, and staging.
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping system for technical documents, production archives, and production rental packets.
- Provide direction and oversee stagehands for assigned performances; contribute assistance in solving problems before, during, and after performances.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Basic knowledge of technical production, including practical experience in shop/stage operations, scenic construction, props building techniques, stage rigging, painting, and lighting is essential.
- Demonstrated skills in AutoCAD (3D highly preferable), Vectorworks, and the Adobe Creative suite.
- Some design background is beneficial but not required. Knowledge of periods and style is helpful.
- Experience with union crews is highly beneficial.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and use time efficiently all required.
- Must have effective organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and oral/written communication skills.
- Familiarity with opera repertoire and/or experience in crew supervision is desirable.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments or performances.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate technical equipment and computers.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com denoting position of interest at the subject line, or mail to: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Dr, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org