Time Commitment: 14-20 hrs/week
Compensation: Paid Internship, Course Credit Available, $30 Travel Stipend Per Week, Flexible Scheduling
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, our company, and our city.
Every year, Lyric Opera hosts a number of interns to enrich the opera house with new ideas and get the experience they are pursuing in their profession. Throughout the internship period, interns will get the chance to meet other fellow interns with their supervisors to learn more about the Opera house, what goes behind the scenes, and how departments work collaboratively to provide a cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation.
The Artistic/Operations & Music Administration departments are responsible for developing, managing, and coordinating the artistic activities of Lyric Opera of Chicago including season planning, contracting of principal artists, chorus, ballet, and orchestra. Our interns gain practical work experience in day-to-day operations and business practices. The Artistic/Operations Intern will be responsible for several projects fitting their experience, professional interests, and the needs of the Artistic/Operations Department.
Brief description of duties:
- Data entry of individual and contractual information into the artistic database
- Some contracting
- Maintaining archival recordings project
- Maintaining the solo auditions database
- Day-to-day administrative and clerical functions
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate studies, seeking a degree in the arts preferred
- Highly organized and professional
- A take-charge individual with exceptional follow-through and attention to detail
- Must have the ability to take direction and multi-task
- Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy is required with an emphasis in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Artistic interest and experience with a music and/or theatre background