REPORTS TO: Manager, Office of the General Director
STATUS: Part-time, non-exempt, seasonal
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep, and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
Lyric Opera of Chicago’s Assistant, Office of the General Director will provide administrative support to the Manager, Office of the General Director and assist in the coordination of activities and functions for the Office of the General Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Lyric’s mission and vision.
- Provide administrative support the Manager, Office of the General Director and efficiently execute on a broad variety of administrative tasks including:
- Managing an extremely active and dynamic calendar of appointments.
- Tracking and completing expense reports.
- Composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential.
- Compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Assistance in preparing materials for committee meetings.
- Assist in special functions of the Office of the General Director, including opening night performances, lectures, and similar events.
- Work closely and effectively with Manager, Office of the General Director to keep the office well-informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities and initiating follow-ups appropriately.
- Prioritize conflicting needs, handle matters expeditiously, and follow through on projects to successful completion often with deadline pressures.
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in business or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of administrative office experience preferred.
- At least one year of arts management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated professional skills:
- Absolute and unquestionable confidentiality with the Manager, Office of the General Director and General Director, President & CEO.
- Impervious to gossip (never instigating nor receiving).
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to connect with an audience irrespective of size, seniority, demographic, or native language.
- Tact and skill to deal with wide range of personalities, seniority, and individual quirks.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills to execute on behalf of either the Manager, Office of the General Director or General Director, President & CEO.
- Bias toward action: positive sense of urgency.
- A make-it-happen attitude that supports an entrepreneurial and opportunistic environment.
- Ability to work and think independently in small and larger teams.
- Working knowledge of our business; a student of the industry.
- Demonstrated technical skills:
- Mastery of the MS suite of products.
- CRM expertise (Tessitura is a strong plus).
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- No knowledge of opera is required
- Hours are 9:00am-3:00pm.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings or weekend functions, deployments, or performances.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com denoting position of interest at the subject line, or mail to: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Dr, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org