Organization: AMERICAN BLUES THEATER
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Type: Managing Director, full-time
The Managing Director is responsible for leading and managing the Theater’s operations, including financial, administrative, and technical functions. Thus, the Managing Director is responsible for the overall operation and financial viability of the Theater. The overriding goal of the position is to implement, along with the Artistic Director, the artistic vision and programmatic decisions of the Theater within the constraints of budget and resources.
It is expected that the Managing Director will play a visible role as a spokesperson and representative of the Theater in the greater Chicago community and will play a significant and active role in cultivating donors and increasing levels of private support for the Theater.
The Managing Director will have the following priorities and key responsibilities:
• Thoroughly understand all facets of American Blues Theater such as history, culture, programs, mission, audience, and base of financial support;
• Build a strong partnership with the Artistic Director; translate artistic vision into institutional strategies and operating plans commensurate with financial realities;
• Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors;
• Lead and manage the Theater’s day-to-day operations in a fiscally responsible manner;
• Work in close partnership with the Artistic Director and the Board in respect to on-going strategic planning;
• Serve as ambassador and spokesperson for the Theater to a wide variety of constituencies;
• Develop existing and new revenue streams to support the Theater’s mission.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
American Blues Theater is seeking a financially experienced, creative leader, problem-solver, and consensus builder for the Managing Director position. Ideally, a candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
• Senior level management and leadership responsibility in a theater company or other complex performing arts institution or comparable non-theatre experience coupled with a demonstrated personal commitment to theater;
• Strong financial and business skills, combined with an understanding of arts organizations;
• A track record of success in effectively managing people, operations, and budgets for an institution of significant size and scope;
• Demonstrated ability to forge mutually respectful and effective relationships with a diverse group of personalities;
• A proven record of successful collaboration with a Board;
• A proven record of successful collaboration with an Artistic Director or person in similar position;
• Demonstrated ability to balance internal management with external presence and relationships;
• Experience with raising funds through major donors and other sources of revenue;
• A demonstrated commitment to customer service;
• Proven success in generating earned income through marketing and product development;
• A track record as an effective communicator orally and in writing.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and highly competitive.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter describing interest, relevant qualifications and experience, 3 professional references, in confidence, to:
Managing Director Search
c/o Gwendolyn Whiteside
American Blues Theater
4809 N Ravenswood Ave, Suite 221
Chicago, IL 60640
Email (preferred): info@AmericanBluesTheater.com / subject: Managing Director Search
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com