Website Mudlark Theater Company
Mudlark Theater Company
Job Opening: Artistic Producer
Location: Evanston, IL
Reports to: Artistic Director
Hours: Full Time, including some evening and weekend hours.
Salary: $36,000 — $39,000, depending on experience
Benefits: Health Care, Paid Time Off, Flexible Schedules.
MISSION: Mudlark Theater collaborates with kids to tell youth centered stories. By taking kids seriously as artists and individuals, we create space for transformative experiences accessible to all.
ABOUT MUDLARK THEATER
Mudlark Theater is a not-for-profit organization where children are taken seriously as artists and learn theater by making it. Our residencies, classes, and camps teach life skills as well as theater arts. Our productions have real substance and tell innovative stories that surprise and delight all audiences. Actors and students learn empathy, listening skills, public speaking, critical thinking, and collaboration—strengths that enhance their academic and personal growth, and will also prepare them to make a difference in any field they choose to enter. At Mudlark, we strive to be a welcoming and safe space where the stories and identities of all youth are honored and celebrated. To find out more, please visit www.mudlarktheater.org.
The Artistic Producer functions as both an artistic eye and a production manager. They work closely with artistic and administrative staff to select and produce an annual season of plays and other programs. The Artistic Producer participates in play selection and the budgeting process; assists in selection of artistic teams for each production; manages the production process on season plays and some education showcases; and manages theatrical operations and spaces. The Artistic Producer will work to uphold the mission and core values of the theater, with a raised consciousness regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts.
- Manage Artistic Department schedules and decision deadlines including venue selection and seating capacity
- With the Artistic Director, plan, attend, and help organize the auditions and casting process
- Read and report on material in consideration for season planning
- Assist Artistic Director in filling all production positions, including contacting artists, posting job openings, scheduling interviews, and preparing contracts.
- Build and cultivate relationships with fellow peers and theater artists in the Evanston/Chicago community
- Attend shows, education events, and patron engagement events as needed
- Provide insight to Marketing, Communication and Development of themes and special features of each production to be used to plan sales, press, sponsorships, special events, and fundraising
- Additional opportunities are available to direct/teach/design, depending on skill set
Producing and Production Management
- Produce several shows annually
- Work across departments to budget productions, assist in building and contracting creative teams.
- Attend rehearsals, technical rehearsals, opening night performances, and oversee strike.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, create seasonal Production Calendar, rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Participate in gathering props, running sound, and/or lighting for productions and educational program showcases
- Manage the onboarding process for independent contractors
- Assist in producing Mudlark’s annual benefit, including day of event support
- Manage facilities space calendar and space access in close coordination with the Education Director
- Plan and participate in the preparation, maintenance, improvement, and organization of production facilities
- Coordinate and orient facility renters and visiting productions to Mudlark’s stages
- Day-to-day management of Artistic Department communication and scheduling
- Provide daily administrative support and assistance for the Artistic department, including schedule coordination, organizing databases and files, tracking department budgets, sourcing theater supplies
- Coordinate and prepare agendas for Artistic Department meetings, and record and distribute minutes as needed
- Assist in communicating with parents of actors and monitor email inboxes for questions
- Update rehearsal schedules and create artistic content on Mudlark’s website
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Minimum 3 years of experience directing and/or producing in performing arts with working knowledge of technical theater and production management
- Experience managing production budgets, meetings, schedules, and deadlines
- Strong organizational and planning skills with an exemplary attention to detail
- Strong computer skills.
- Proven ability to anticipate and troubleshoot potential problems
- Understanding of and ability to troubleshoot software for lighting and sound equipment and technology
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong emphasis on communication
- Understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppression principles and practices, and the ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
Mudlark Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to bringing diverse perspectives to our administrative and artistic teams.
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Artistic Director Andrew Biliter at email@example.com. Please write Artistic Producer in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org