Music Theater Works is looking for a resident technical supervisor. This position would work with the production manger to supervise the technical staff through the design, construction, load-in, technical rehearsal and strike process. The company works in Cahn Auditorium, a 1,000 seat proscenium theatre on the Northwestern University Campus (though we are not affiliated with the University) and presents shows with full orchestrations.
Individual duties for the Technical Supervisor would include:
1. Work with scenic and props designers and PM to develop and approve scenic and prop designs, supervise the bid process, get drawings to the contract scene shop, check-in with the shop during construction, load-in, tech and make sure that the set and props arrives at the theatre on-time, on budget and all elements are completely and safely installed and ready for tech. Work with stage management to make sure that all props and show furniture are moved from the rehearsal hall and delivered to the theater.
2. Build any small scenic or props pieces that it might not make sense for the contract shop to complete.
3. Work with the PM to supervise the master electrician and sound staff to make sure that the light and sound plot are hung and focused on time and on budget and are ready for tech. Supervise the sound staff to make sure that the entire sound system is installed and tested before tech starts.
4. Work with the costume and hair and make-up staff and make sure that all of these elements arrive at the theatre on time and are ready for tech. Also loading costume, makeup and wig supplies from MTW to the theatre. Making sure that the greenroom and dressing rooms are clean and ready for tech.
5. Supervise the backstage crew during tech and performances, making sure that all scene changes are performed as rehearsed and safely. Working with Stage Management and the PM during tech to keep things running smoothly and efficiently. Perform necessary repairs on set and prop elements.
6. Work with the PM to prepare all show payroll and make sure that all tax documents and time sheets are collected and promptly submitted for payment.
7. Work with the PM to develop a strike plan and make sure that all elements are removed from the theatre by all departments and that the theater is returned to the same condition as when we loaded-in. Supervise crew during strike. Drive a rental truck to return all borrowed or rented items, or that stock items and supplies are returned to MTW storage.
Essential qualifications: Technical aptitude in all technical areas, comfortable with fly systems, able to work at heights and in a lift or on a ladder. Have a driver’s license and ability to rent a truck utilizing company charge card. Ability to lift at least 75 pounds. Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a group of people. A good sense of humor and ability to work under pressure.
Pertinent Dates for the Season Include:
HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING
Starts Rehearsal: April 29, 2019 (6 weeks out from opening)
Light Hang Starts: Sunday, May 26
Scenic Load-In: Tuesday, May 28
Begins Tech: June 1
Preview: Friday, June 7 at 2 p.m.
Opens: Saturday, June 8 at 8 p.m.
Closes: Sunday, June 15 at 8 p.m.
Strike: Monday, June 17
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
Starts Rehearsal: July 8, 2019 (6 weeks out from opening)
Light Hang Begins: Saturday, August 3
Scenic Load-in: Tuesday, August 6
Begins Tech: Saturday, August 10
Preview: Friday, August 16
Opens: Saturday, August 17
Closes: Sunday, August 25
Strike: Monday, August 26
Lerner and Lowe’s Greatest Hits
Load-in: Thursday, September 26
Group Performance: Wednesday, October 2 @ 2 p.m.
Press Opening: Friday, October 4 at 8 p.m.
Closes: Sunday, October 13 @ 2 p.m.
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT
Starts Rehearsal: November 6, 2019 (6.5 weeks out, earlier to account for time lost over Thanksgiving)
Light Hang Begins: Saturday, December 7
Load-In: Monday, December 9
Begins Tech: Saturday, December 14
Preview: Friday, December 20 at 2 p.m.
Opens: Saturday, December 21 at 8 p.m.
Closes: Tuesday, December 31 at 8 p.m.
Strike:Wednesday, January 1
Please email resume and cover letter to Production Manager Jim Davis. No phone calls, please.
Music Theater Works does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com