The Artistic Fellowship is a professional development opportunity for an early-career theatre maker interested in working as an artistic leader in the theatre. The fellow will work alongside the Artistic Director and the Artistic staff while providing support to Northlight’s artists on mainstage productions, the Interplay series, season planning and any additional artistic programming. This experience will provide mentorship, training, and experience for a future leader of color at a midsize arts institution. The Artistic Fellow will expand the perspectives of the artistic team as an integral member for one full season (August – July) and will represent Northlight in the Chicago theatre community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Attend first rehearsals, designer runs, final dress and other performances of Northlight productions as needed and provide feedback to the Artistic Director.
· Assist with season planning by reading plays for consideration and contributing to Northlight’s Literary Circle; advising on writers to be commissioned.
· Assist with casting as needed.
· Participate in the mainstage season as an assistant director or dramaturg, as mutually agreed upon.
· Actively foster relationships with directors and writers, with a view to future productions at Northlight and/or developing ideas in workshop conditions.
· Assist the Artistic Director with developing Northlight’s artistic programs in line with the company’s vision and mission statements, and within given resources.
· Lead discussions and audience engagement events around Northlight programs as mutually agreed.
· Candidates of color highly encouraged.
· A bachelor’s degree in a theatrical discipline or at least two years’ experience in a professional theatre
· Reside in (or be able to relocate to) the Chicago area
· Have a strong desire to work in an artistic department at a mid-sized theatre
During their tenure, Fellows receive:
· A stipend of $5,000 which includes an honorarium and transportation allowance
· Professional Development and networking opportunities
· Discounted and free tickets to area theatres
Please send a brief cover letter stating your interest in Northlight Theatre and your goals for this fellowship. Please also include a resume and 3 references. Application can be sent to: email@example.com. Applications are due by June 1, 2019. For further information about Northlight Theatre and the 2019-20 season, please visit: https://northlight.org/
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org