Website Northwestern University
Part-time Technical Coordinator, Wirtz Center for the Performing Arts
Job ID: 45850
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Department: SoC Wirtz Center for Perf Arts
The technical coordinator will be primarily based at Northwestern’s Chicago campus, supporting and facilitating the use of the Wirtz Center’s new downtown Chicago facility, located in Abbott Hall. Opened in 2021, the 24,000 square foot Virginia Wadsworth Wirtz Center for the Performing and Media Arts is designed for a combination of performance and instruction, and includes multi-use black box spaces, a lobby and gallery space, teaching and design studios, and a computer lab. Performance spaces are equipped and suitable for theatre productions, speeches, screenings and other events. Reporting to the Production Manager of Wirtz Chicago, the technical coordinator will be primarily responsible for installing, maintaining and operating theater equipment for live events; preparing each studio space for events and performances; communicating technical capabilities to internal and external parties; collaborating with various School of Communication units to determine technical needs; working with School of Communication IT staff to coordinate instructional needs; maintaining inventory and equipment; running lights, sound and projections at live events as necessary, and occasionally transporting items between Chicago and Evanston locations. Depending on performance and event schedule, this position may occasionally be called upon to support productions and events at the Wirtz Center and other School of Communication performance spaces in Evanston.
Please note: This is a part-time (28 hrs per week) position that may occasionally require evening or weekend hours.
- Set up and prepare Wirtz Center Chicago studio and black box performance spaces for live events, ranging from performances, guest lectures, and screenings
- Act as on-site technician for student performances and workshops, rental productions and presented works as necessary
- Restore light and sound systems following events; coordinate with School of Communication IT staff to ensure changeover to classroom set-up is complete
- Communicate technical capabilities to internal Northwestern parties as well as outside vendors, renters, or other interested parties.
- Collaborate with School of Communication units, particularly the A/V team in the SOC IT department, to determine technical support needs for events and productions.
- Provide onsite maintenance and support of theatrical equipment; Maintain inventory of audio, lights and projection equipment; advise Wirtz Center management on potential upgrades and equipment purchases.
- Operate lights, sound, and/or projections equipment at live events as necessary.
- Transport items between Chicago and Evanston spaces
- Technical support of productions in Evanston spaces as schedule allows
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BFA/BA in Technical Theatre or equivalent work experience
- 1-2 years experience as a sound, lighting and/or projection technician
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated competency in installing, maintaining and running A/V systems
- Ability to work autonomously
- 3-4 years experience as a sound, lighting and/or projection technician.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Experience with QLab and ETC Lighting Consoles
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=45850&PostingSeq=1
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website https://www.northwestern.edu/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/health/vaccine/
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Please apply online at the link below.
To apply for this job please visit careers.northwestern.edu.