Website Porchlight Music Theatre
Chicago’s music theatre center for over 25 years
About the Position
Porchlight Music Theatre seeks a full-time Production Manager to join our staff. This management position assures the successful physical delivery of all Porchlight Music Theatre productions. Reporting to the Artistic Director, this individual is responsible for the planning and coordination of all Porchlight productions and events, including participating in production budgeting and production staff hiring. (CONSIDERING LOCAL CHICAGO-AREA RESIDENTS ONLY)
- Provide production supervision for three Mainstage productions, Porchlight Revisits productions, New Faces Sing Broadway revues, and Broadway in your Backyard concert series, as well as the annual Season Preview Party, Holiday Party, Chicago Sings concert, ICONS Gala and other ancillary activities.
- In collaboration with Artistic Director and Producing Artistic Associate, develop initial season schedule, production calendars and design deadlines for each production and expanded programming/events.
- Oversee hiring, contracting, and management of all production staff and contractors including, but not limited to: designers, part time technical staff, electricians, carpenters, production assistants, wardrobe personnel, run crew, artistic consultants and any additional personnel required for specific production needs.
- Participate in developing and managing seasonal production budgets, track expenses throughout the season, and reconcile each production with Finance department.
- Oversee HR documentation for all production personnel, including but not limited to contract preparation, production handbook, timesheet processing and any production-related Workers’ Compensation claims.
- Submit weekly production personnel payroll and timesheets to Finance department.
- Maintain department contact information and production rosters.
- Oversee the upkeep, maintenance and cleaning of Porchlight’s scene shop.
- Oversee and assist in maintaining all Porchlight owned production equipment. Source and acquire new production equipment as needed.
For Mainstage and Revisits Productions at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts:
- Develop and administer build, load-in, tech and strike schedules for the stage.
- Schedule and execute production meetings and communication as necessary.
- Manage director/design teams through the design process to guarantee the timely completion of all designs and the feasibility of execution within the allotted budget of time, money and personnel available.
- Manage the logistics of planning, organization and scheduling for load in, tech, run and load out of each production.
- Manage the construction and installation of all physical elements of productions.
- Coordinate with stage manager for transportation (via rented van and/or Porchlight staff vehicles) from rehearsal space to theater of any items that require assistance. Be available to return any rented props/costumes if required.
- Oversee insurance compliance with all union and safety rules.
- Manage the reconciliation of all budgets and expenditures with designers in a timely fashion, no later than two weeks after each closing.
- Attend pre-first rehearsal production meetings, first AEA rehearsal/designer presentation and designer run(s). As needed, attend technical rehearsals, previews and post-preview performance production meetings.
- Be present during tech rehearsal(s), providing technical trouble-shooting and support as needed. Be reasonably available as needed during performance run, providing technical trouble-shooting and support as needed.
- As necessary, support Technical Staff(s) with on-site hands-on assistance and production management.
- Revisits Only: Coordinate with Artistic Director for placement of projection screen(s) and projector(s) to be functioning in time for the start of each tech rehearsal and performances.
- Revisits Only: Be available to advise/assist Porchlight Revisits production/artistic staff to assure a smooth coexistence and execution of the production within the Mainstage production in the space.
For New Faces Sing Broadway, Broadway in Your Backyard, ICONS Gala, Chicago Sings and other special events:
- Coordinate and execute all production needs for artistic programming at other venues.
- Secure rental of venue(s) as needed and communicate/coordinate with venue any technical needs required for execution of production as required.
- Review and approve production/technical portions of venue contracts.
- At least three (3) years’ experience of production in live professional theatre. Knowledge of all areas of technical theatre needed; experience as crew member and supervisor a plus.
- Proven leadership and production management experience; diplomacy and calmness under stress, and excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
- Must be able to handle numerous tasks at the same time and coordinate all aspects of production.
- Ability to work a mixture of business hours, nights and weekends as dictated by the production schedule.
- An advanced understanding of budgeting and scheduling is mandatory, as well as proficiency in Excel.
- Previous supervision and oversight of in-house Scene Shop is desirable.
- Must be able to physically access all technical spaces in the theater.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Cultural competency to work with individuals and groups from diverse racial, religious, ethnic, educational, ability and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as members of the LGBTQ and gender non-conforming communities.
- Local to the Chicago area.
- Candidates for this position are required to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 by the time of their start of employment.
- $48,000 annually, commensurate with experience
- Benefits: Optional individual PPO health insurance with at least 80% employer contribution; optional dental/vision coverage; generous paid time off (PTO) and paid holidays
About Porchlight Music Theatre
A nonprofit professional company with an annual budget of $2.5 million, Porchlight Music Theatre is Chicago’s award-winning home for music theatre, celebrating the past, present and future of this unique American art form for the last 27 years. In residence at the historic, intimate Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago’s Gold Coast, Porchlight completed the best-attended and highest-grossing season in its history just prior to the pandemic. Porchlight delights more than 30,000 patrons each season with a three- to four-show Mainstage season of inventively reimagined classics, recent Broadway hits and new musical finds; a Porchlight Revisits series of rarely seen musicals in limited run with enhanced dramaturgy; a New Faces Sing Broadway cabaret series; and a free Broadway in your Backyard neighborhood-park concert series, in addition to educational programs for students of all ages through classes and camps, Chicago Public Schools and community partnerships.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Porchlight Music Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com