Associate Producer for the LookOut Series
In anticipation of resuming performances in early 2022, Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Associate Producer for the LookOut Series. Housed primarily in the 1700 Theatre, LookOut is Steppenwolf’s performance series that presents the work of local artists and companies across genre and form: emerging artists and performance legends, quintessential Chicago companies and young aspiring ensembles, familiar Steppenwolf faces and new friends. In a typical year the series hosts upwards of 150 performances, welcoming over a thousand artists through Steppenwolf’s doors. The wide breadth and high volume of programming includes forms such as music, comedy, storytelling, performance art, dance, drag, theater, and anything in between.
This role reports to the Creative Producer and works in collaboration with them to program the series and to manage its day-to-day operations. Candidates should possess a knowledge of the performance scene in Chicago, a passion for championing bold artists, and a strong perspective on—and understanding of—performance across discipline.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Works on a team to book bold, vital Chicago artists, according to strategic programming goals.
- Attends performances in Chicago to identify potential candidates for presentation.
- Manages the submission process for the series, solicits inquiries from prospective artists, and meets with artists to discuss and assess mutual interest in bookings.
- Solicits vital details for performances in the series, and then synthesizes and distributes that information to key internal stakeholders.
- Works with LookOut team to advance production needs for half of all performances.
- Provides “boots-on-the-ground” line producing support for half of all performances in the series, ensuring cooperation between artists, box office, front of house, and production teams.
- Supervises and mentors Professional Leadership Program participants—summer interns, apprentices, and fellows.
- Generates contracts for all engagements
- Calculates settlements for all engagements
- Manages payouts for all engagements
- Manages budget for the series
- Updates the series’ website
- Attends Artistic Office Meetings to participate in conversations around Steppenwolf season planning, artistic vision, and overall programming strategy.
- Assists as needed on a variety of Steppenwolf artistic and engagement initiatives.
Successful candidates will:
- Have knowledge of—and interest in—a variety of performing arts disciplines and forms.
- Possess a passion for advocating for the needs of Chicago artists.
- Be able to communicate effectively with a variety of different constituencies (artists, administrators, front line staff, funders etc.)
- Demonstrate problem-solving instincts, flexibility, generosity, and a desire to maintain and build upon the systems supporting this robust presenting series.
- Be comfortable working on teams with shared decision-making structures and working independently. Attention to detail is a must.
- Many evening and weekend hours are required.
- Have 2+ years of experience in programming, presenting, producing, talent booking, event producing, artist advocacy, curation, production management, stage management or related field.
- A robust understanding of Chicago’s performing arts ecosystem, including artists and venues. Especially valuable is knowledge of Chicago’s comedy, music, performance art and/or dance communities.
- Familiarity with Tessitura or similar arts enterprise software a plus.
- Familiarity with Facebook and Instagram content creation an added plus.
- Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA)
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by 11/1
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.