The Audience Services Supervisor at Steppenwolf is an experienced box office professional who provides exemplary customer service, oversees a 10 – 12 person box office team, and helps maintain a smooth and efficient ticketing experience for all patrons. The ideal candidate utilizes creative problem-solving and leadership skills to identify areas of growth in the box office and continues to build Steppenwolf’s reputation for top-notch patron services. This position reports to the Audience Services Manager.
- A commitment to Steppenwolf’s mission and values
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with particular emphasis on phone service
- Leadership and/or supervisory experience, preferably in a theater setting
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge of Tessitura ticketing software
- 2+ years’ experience in customer service, preferably in a live performance box office
- Daytime, evening and weekend availability required; needs vary by performance schedule
Box Office Team Leader
- Serving as an articulate, motivating supervisor to 10-12 audience services associates
- Assisting the Audience Services Manager in hiring and training new associates as needed
- Answering associates’ questions, communicating policies and resolving ticketing issues as they arise
- Attending and helping to facilitate monthly meetings with full Audience Services team
- Taking patron calls, performing ticket sales and exchanges, and completing subscription renewals
- Managing and processing 3rd party sales
- Making regular bank deposits
Tessitura & Ticketing
- Processing orders and exchanges
- Reporting on sales to the larger Audience Services Department
- Setting up promotions, offers, departmental holds and staff comps
- Assisting patrons with walk-up ticket transactions
- Basic office management and organization
- Maintaining strong communication both within the box office and throughout the larger Steppenwolf community
- Participating in department-wide meetings and supporting broader Audience Services and patron communication efforts
- Representing the box office as a member of Steppenwolf’s EDI (equity, diversity, and inclusion) working group
For over 40 years, Steppenwolf Theatre Company has been a cultural leader in Chicago and model for theatre companies in the United States and around the world. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble has grown to 53 members who represent a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Steppenwolf is led by Artistic Director Anna D. Shapiro and Executive Director David Schmitz.
Salary range $31,000 – $34,000 with excellent benefit package, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, employee assistance program, vacation pay, paid sick leave, personal days and 401(k) retirement program with company match.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume & three references by following this link by April 2, 2019.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
For additional information about Steppenwolf, please visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr